I was just wondering what everyone's standard practice was when importing the different updated versions of MSI's and Driver packages for all of the Surface Devices?

We are currently using Surface Pro 3, 4 and Books within the organisation and was wondering if I should import the separate versions them into SCCM as their own application (in the case of the MSI) or Driver package (self explanatory) with the version number specified for each?. Or should I be removing old versions once they have been tested in production, maybe having 2 for each device available in the system at one time?

• Like 1

Anyone share their thoughts on this?

I am with the mind of just keeping the base install driver package only in the system for each device and then create separate Applications for the different versions of the MSI's...

We version control our packages. Example Dell version their driver packs as A01, A02, A03 etc....

So when importing the driver packs we ensure this version number is tagged to the drivers as categories.

If youre importing individual drivers then it can get a bit tricky but perhaps tagging them with the date you imported them will help you control drivers.

And yes once you have imported drivers and are happy with them, as long as you keep 1 previous set of drivers then rest can be removed

We import them using the name/no Microsoft use on the files/zip files that way we know which are which, we also keep the previous set of drivers just in case there are issues with the current drivers so we always have 2 version of the driver pack/msi in sccm at any one time

Many thanks for this, exactly what we are doing and seems to work well