jackvdbuk

New to SCCM: few questions to confirm the setup is OK

Hi all,

i am currently setting up a SCCM server for work and unable to find information about these Questions or looking for others opinions on this..

i have created Query collections based on AD OU for devices which is fine.

i have created a SUG for Windows 7 updates and another for Office updates for upto july 2016.

i have Created a deployment for the SUG's to the "test" group of 4 machines and it works as it should.

question is i now have added a fifth machine to this collection manually and the deployment was run a few days ago... will it auto deploy or do i need to do something here i.e run it manually? it states it was run on the 15th July and thats it. im not sure if it will auto run on the newly added machine.

i have setup ADR for monthly updates but what about the historic SUG which contains all the updates prior to the monthly ADR's - does this auto deploy to new machines in the collection?

few other Q's

1. i am going to try and get drivers to install after a OS deployment via other means and also to existing machines and they are mainly created into EXE/CAB/ZIP/ISO driver packages via the HP Softpaq site.. is this recommended and OK to do or is there a better method
Edited by jackvdbuk

Yes, any machines added after a deadline will run anything assigned to deploy to that collection, the same goes for task sequences, pacakges, and apps.

You can install drivers to an OS after a deployed method by other means, you'd just need to package these and test on the machines prior to deploying to confirm functionality. It'll more than likely require a reboot, but if the driver packages have an auto setup feature it'll work.

The other option you have is to manually load drivers using the command line. (Although I've not tested this)

Yes, any machines added after a deadline will run anything assigned to deploy to that collection, the same goes for task sequences, pacakges, and apps.

You can install drivers to an OS after a deployed method by other means, you'd just need to package these and test on the machines prior to deploying to confirm functionality. It'll more than likely require a reboot, but if the driver packages have an auto setup feature it'll work.

The other option you have is to manually load drivers using the command line. (Although I've not tested this)

thats great news, thanks for the confirmation.

its been around 12 hours since i added the laptop to the collection, when will it get redployed? can i check how often it will check for the new software updates deployment for one that has already run?

I would imagine it should have run by now, it'll depend on your software update evaluation settings in client settings.

Under the monitoring > deployment section - find your deployment, is your new machine listed as targeted in it?

I would imagine it should have run by now, it'll depend on your software update evaluation settings in client settings.

Under the monitoring > deployment section - find your deployment, is your new machine listed as targeted in it?

Hi Apexes,

thanks for confirming again. i have been silly in that it was already fully patched and checked monitoring and it was fully compliant... thus no updates were pushed to it.

silly but good to know from my perspective.

Thanks,

Jack