pembertj

Internet based client (IBCM) stuck/switching to "Currently Intranet" instead of "Currently Internet"

We had internet based client management working but it possibly seems to have ran into issues when we upgraded to 1511 and moved the server.

This is the behavior I am running into right now - I imaged a VM with our OSD image and then took the VM off site - so the VM is domain joined but currently outside the network of where I work. When I power up the VM and check in Control Panel the machine will almost always come up as "currently intranet". Because of this when it tries to download content from our DPs it sometimes tries to connect to our intranet only DP and will then hang/fail on downloading content. Occasionally (I haven't found the trigger) it will properly show up as "Currently Internet" - once it does this all content for apps/updates downloads and works correctly.

I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of what logic/method SCCM uses to determine Internet vs Intranet

I had an issue with the CRL which is now fixed, I no longer see that issue in the logs.

Our boundary (group) is based off several IP ranges and AD membership.

I am logging into the machine with an AD account that is using cached credentials. If I connect VPN it will also work fine.

The most relevant log entry I can find is in ClientLocation.log (see below). If anyone wants any other log entries let me know...

Unable to retrieve AD forest + domain membership. Error 0x8007054b ClientLocation 7/20/2016 8:56:25 PM 3148 (0x0C4C)
Raising event:

instance of CCM_CcmHttp_Status
{
ClientID = "GUID:57BA9682-AF4F-4062-996D-3DBED13C2ACD";
DateTime = "20160721015625.800000+000";
HostName = "sccm01.xxx.xxx";
HRESULT = "0x00000000";
ProcessID = 2896;
StatusCode = 0;
ThreadID = 3148;
};
ClientLocation 7/20/2016 8:56:25 PM 3148 (0x0C4C)
Domain joined client is in Intranet ClientLocation 7/20/2016 8:56:25 PM 3148 (0x0C4C)