Jono

Windows 10 deployment incorrect computer name

Hello all,

We’ve recently implemented SCCM (Current Branch) within our organisation. I’ve previously used SCCM 2003, but obviously some things have changed significantly!

We’re having a similar issue to this post: https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/12803-windows-10-enterprise-computer-name-problems-sccm-2012-r2-sp1/

When we deploy our Windows 10 image (1511 Education), we prompt for a computer name (stored in the OSDComputerName variable), however when the OSD TS completes, the machine is named WIN-XXXXXXXXX.

I’ve examine the smsts.log file and can see the correct computer name listed within it and it applying to the unattend.xml file [updated C:\WINDOWS\panther\unattend\unattend.xml with OSDComputerName=13-0908-QGT204 (value was 13-0908-QGT204)]. We use the unattend.xml file to apply UK setting (language, keyboard, etc.) to our build.

I then removed the “Use an unattended or Sysprep answer file for a custom installation” option from the “Apply Operating System Image” and redeployed the image again. This time the task sequence worked correctly and gave the computer the correct name.

Within the xml file I can see <ComputerName></ComputerName> under the “component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup"” section, which, I assume, is where the task sequence would update the name – in fact there are two entries, one for x86 and one for amd64 (we only use 64bit) – would this be the issue?

Any thoughts or advice is welcome J

Thanks,

Jono

Yes, that was it. Once I removed the x86 sections the Task Sequence worked correctly. I used Windows System Image Manager to make the changes and it did show warning with regard to the x86 sections when I loaded the unattend.xml file (I hadn't created the original file).

Thanks for your help.