nate@tamu

How can I update the version of DISM that WDS uses?

Question

Hey there, Guys.

I'm having a problem with WDS, which is why I'm posting here. I mentioned I'd start a new thread about this in another thread as well.

Working with a new system, I want to capture an image to my WDS server. This requires putting the drivers for the NIC into the boot image to allow it to actually work, but for some reason, I can't. If I try and use the wizard, I get 'The request is not supported' and the logs complain about 'It is an unsupported scenario to service an up level image using low level dism.' This led me to believe that there was a version issue somewhere. All updates have been done on the box, and the latest ADK has been installed. Thing is, if I try and use WDS's driver tool, it defaults to the older version of DISM. Is there a way to change the version it uses or to update the version it's pointing to to the latest version?

If I use the DISM located in Program Files (x86)\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\dism, I get Version 10.0.10586.0, but if I use the version located at C:\windows\system32 (the one I suspect WDS uses), I get version 6.3.9600.17031. Simply put, I need to make the old one go away, point WDS to the new one instead, or upgrade the old to the new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit 29 July 2016:

Okay, so.

I've been poking around the internet and a few suggestions have been thrown out to change the Path in System Properties. Windows/system32 is still first in line, so for grins and giggles, I put the ADK DISM location in front of that. WDS still runs the older version, from what I can tell. I also renamed and deleted all versions of DISM with the same problem, but that led me to realize that WDS is using WDSUTIL, not DISM. The old version of WDSUTIL installed has almost the same version number as the version of DISM. Now I'm trying to see if there's a way to update WDSUTIL to something newer than 6.

post-33774-0-29729700-1469810289.jpg

post-33774-0-39888100-1469810455.jpg

post-33774-0-41122000-1469810854.jpg

Edited by nate@tamu

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet