cumbrianblues

SCCM across multiple forests around the world

Bare with me on this one, we currently have locations around the world. UK, Australia, Germany and South Africa multiple office location in each country.

Each one worked as a separate entity until recently so all had their own forest/domain with UK and Aus having their own sccm 2012 deployments.

We have recently added a resource forest to move SharePoint/Lync/exchange into to join up everyone, with their local forest/domain still retaining users/computers etc with a two way trust between them and the resource forest.

We need to update sccm to Current Branch in UK and Aus but also want to join then together and roll out to GER and SA. 20,000 clients in total.

Our thoughts were to install a new primary site server into the resource forest (based in UK) and install site servers locally (DP's at all the regional offices). Publish it all into the local forests/domains and migrate.

Would it work? What are the pros and cons? Any other ideas?

Thanks

the cons to having another primary would mean needing a CAS and nearly everyone I know recommends avoiding to have a CAS due to the problems you may face if and when site-to-site replication starts having issues,

take a look at this post for some ideas...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/neilp/2012/08/20/cross-forest-support-in-configmgr-2012-part-1-simple-management/

surprisingly we have a CAS already in the UK setup and haven;t had any issues with it (we put one in at the time expecting we may need one in the future)

The current setups in the UK and Aus are both on Server 2008 R2 boxes hence the need to move and upgrade. so they want to consolidate and have one to cover all the machines, I can't see any issues with moving it to the resource domain and then publishing to the account forests for management.

The only thing I don;t know is the political bits, they haven't said if they want to keep them separate for management/politcal reasons or whether we can just use the same infrastucture - oh and they want it done in a couple of months :(