Malik4u

Group Policy and Active directory

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi

Yes apply and design group policy and its Implementation. (How to apply, how to edit, etc)

Active Directory administrations , i am looking some kind of video tranings or step by step guides. (DNS and DHCP involvemt and integration, Joining domains, setting users and gorup policy etc.

Hi

Yes apply and design group policy and its Implementation. (How to apply, how to edit, etc)

Active Directory administrations , i am looking some kind of video tranings or step by step guides. (DNS and DHCP involvemt and integration, Joining domains, setting users and gorup policy etc.

OK, got some time spare so will try and whip out an applying GPO guide today....

In the mean time, check out technet and this post for a basic rundown.

there are many many many many methods of designing GPO, and for many different reasons so that is difficult.

For example: i work as a Global Managed Services Architect so most of my designs are built in a fashion that no one component can cause total systems failure. We build a tiered GPO within our clients SOE so many users (Service desks and Support Staff) are able to have delegated access to different components.

Our basic structure for GPO is as follows

<root>

Anything that every OBJECT in the domain will receive

ROOT-GPO-PasswordPolicy <- settings all users will receive for password policy

ROOT-GPO-APP-ERM <- Settings in regards to your global erm/crm/sap application

<region>

Anything Specific to the region

APAC-GPO-OCSClient <- ensures settings for the OCS client in Asia Pacific are correct

<country>

Anything everybody in the country would require

JP-GPO-AllComputers-Proxy <- Proxy settings specific to Japan* (can be site specific also though)

<site>

Anything the is site specific

TKY123-GPO-AllUsers-Mapping <- All user accounts are added to the mappings group of their OU (in regards to this post)

TKY123-GPO-AllComputers-Printers <- All computers get the printers installed

<group>/<user>

Anything specific to group off computers or users

TKY123-GPO-Finance <- all users in the finance group have this GPO applied (disables USB storage, etc)

TKY123-GPO-Highly-Managed <- Workstations that are classed as a Highly Managed WorkStation under the SOE

Again, there are many ways to do GPO and as longs as to stay as close to the accepted Best Practices for your Environment / Industry and that provided by MS your should be ok, its not always as simple as following MS 100%.

We build as above so i can delegate the <country><site><group><user> to the local country as they will nearly always want it different to what HQ advises. give them le-way and me less work. Provided they follow the guidelines....

Active directory is a bit similar.