Dennis

How to use config.xml?

Question

How do i set the USMT tool to use a custom config.xml file? I use SCCM 2007 R2 Sp2 and also use Hardlink. I find very little documentation on how to use USMT with a config.xml file and SCCM.

I have tried to set /config:config.xml on OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions. But the task do fail then.

5 answers to this question

Im trying to set that USMT don't migrate network printers ++ some more settings I dont want to get migrated when I upgrade to windows 7.

Config.xml

This is an optional file that you can create using the /genconfig option on the ScanState command line. You should create and modify this file if you want to exclude certain components from the migration. In addition, you must create and modify this file if you want to exclude any of the operating system settings that are migrated to computers running Windows Vista (because MigSys.xml is not applicable in that scenario). This file has a different format than the migration .xml files because it does not contain any migration rules — it only contains a list of the operating system components, applications, and the user documents that can be migrated. For an example, see the Sample Config.xml file. For this reason, excluding components using this file is easier than modifying the migration .xml files because you do not need to be familiar with the migration rules and syntax. You cannot use wildcard characters in this file.

If you want to include all of the default components, you do not need to create this file. Alternatively, if you are satisfied with the default migration behavior defined in MigSys.xml, MigApp.xml, and MigUser.xml, and you only want to exclude some components, you can create and modify a Config.xml and leave the other .xml files as is.

When you run /genconfig, ScanState reads the other .xml files (that you specify using /i) and the manifests to create a custom list of components that can be migrated from the computer. This file will only contain operating system components, applications and the user document sections that are in both the .xml files and installed on the computer when you run /genconfig. Therefore, you should create this file on a source computer that contains all the components, applications and settings that will be present on the destination computers. This will ensure that this file contains every component that can be migrated. The components are organized into sections: <Applications>, <WindowsComponents>, and <Documents>. To choose not to migrate a component, simply change its entry to migrate="no".

After you create this file, you only need to specify it on the ScanState command line using /config in order for it to effect the migration. However, if you want to exclude additional data that you migrated to the store, simply modify Config.xml and specify the updated file with LoadState. For example, if you collected the My Documents folder in the store, but you decide that you do not want to migrate the My Documents folder to a destination computer, you can modify Config.xml (migrate=no) before you run LoadState and the file will not be migrated. For more information about the precedence that takes place when excluding data, see How To Exclude Files and Settings.

In addition, note the following functionality with this file:

If a parent component is removed from the migration in Config.xml by specifying migrate = "no", then all of its child components will automatically be removed from the migration also (even if the child component is set to migrate = "yes").

If, by mistake, you have two lines of code for the same component where one specifies migrate="no" and the other specifies migrate="yes", the component will be migrated.

When creating this file for Windows Vista, you should not specify /i:migsys.xml because MigSys.xml is not applicable. For example, you could run scanstate /genconfig:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /l:scan.log

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766203(WS.10).aspx

I dont know about SCCM (were too poor to buy it) but this is the command I use to use a config.xml for an XP to XP migration

scanstate %EXPORTDIR%\%computername%_%user%\ /config:%USMTDIR%\config.xml /i:%USMTDIR%\miguser.xml /i:%USMTDIR%\migapp.xml /v:13 /l:%EXPORTDIR%\%computername%_%user%.log /targetxp /localonly  /ue:*\* /ui:domain\%USER% 

I have an heavily edited migapp.xml, Im a bit dubious about creating a customapp.xml and integrating it with config.xml even if it is best practice, introducting errors into the xml is too trivial

Generating the config.xml is:

scanstate /genconfig:config.xml /i:...

Im still stuck on this one :P