Kevin79

Software Updates and reboots

I have a maintenance window setup for every day between 1AM and 6AM that applies only to Software updates. I have my deployment setup with an Installation deadline of 3AM. I also have Software updates installation checked under Deadline behavior and Servers checked under Device restart behavior. If computers aren't turned on at night or if installation goes past the maintenance window, is the computer supposed to reboot automatically during the next maintenance window?

yes, happened to me once.

Setup a patch deployment to a few servers, a maintenance window was created to allow patching to take place and so servers can be rebooted. Patching went past the maintenance window meaning the servers didnt get the reboot they needed first time time.

Next time the maintenance window opened, servers automatically rebooted.

Moral of the story - be careful when using "recurring" maintenance windows unless you allow plenty of time for a server to get patched the first time round.

^ as above

Create a test collection, add a test machine, deploy patches, open a 4-5 hour maint window during your working hours then visually monitor what happens on the client after its installed updates. Are the logs indicating any failed at attempts to reboot. Or is it simply that your reboot countdown setting is so large that that it overlaps the next maint windows, thus never allowing your clients to reboot.