Microsoft explains that an in-place OS upgrade from Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 is supported (let's make that clear before someone pulls out the backup / reinstall / site recover copypasta, ok?) for a site server running Config Manager 2012 R2 SP1. So, I did just that, and after wrangling with some problems with WSUS, the site server is working as intended. Yes, even WSUS is working properly; I had to fix some site binding problems and edit the web.config to support Windows 10 clients, but that was it. I had to do the in-place upgrade because WSUS 3 broke after a recent Windows 10 update, and the fix was to update to WSUS 4, on Server 2012 R2.

Some Remote Console users can't log on to the site server now, though. These users are not domain admins, but they are SMS admins; the site server's SMS Admins local group lists our IT Department's domain global group as a member, and this group also has the site server's Full Administrator role. I dug further and found the site server's SMS Admins local group has needed permissions in DCOM, too. I haven't yet checked the other requirements.

Members of the Domain Admins global group can use a remote console, so I think I can eliminate network and firewalling as a cause. It's just members of the SMS Administrators global group or our IT Department global group that aren't also Domain Admins can't use it.

What other permissions should I check?

While local non-admins don't normally have write access to the AdminUILog folder on the remote console, I can grant Modify access to it and get this output from the SMSAdminUI log. It's pretty generic, though:

[7, PID:5448][08/15/2016 10:16:09] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nAccess denied \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
   at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
   at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)\r\nManagementException details:
[7, PID:5448][08/15/2016 10:16:09] :Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The SMS Provider reported an error.'\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe SMS Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\nAccess denied 
\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nAccess denied \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)\r\nManagementException details:
[7, PID:5448][08/15/2016 10:16:14] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nAccess denied \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
   at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
   at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)\r\nManagementException details:

Ahh, there we go. The last line in the error message from the Remote Console told me what I needed: The WMI permissions were overwritten during the OS upgrade, and after I restored the site server's SMS Admins local group to them, Remote Console non-admins could use the Remote Console again.

To fix this, on the site server launch wmimgmt.msc console, then bring up the local computer's properties and Security tab. Then browse to root / SMS and root / SMS / site_[site name]. Add the SMS Admins local group back to both of these, and make sure they have Execute Methods, Provider Write, Enable Account, and Remote Enable allowed.

• Like 2

I had this problem when i upgraded Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2 using the supported scenarios for SCCM upgrade.

This fix worked from GordonF

To fix this, on the site server launch wimgmt.msc console, then bring up the local computer's properties and Security tab. Then browse to root / SMS and root / SMS / site_[site name]. Add the SMS Admins local group back to both of these, and make sure they have Execute Methods, Provider Write, Enable Account, and Remote Enable allowed.

Great job Gordon.