sacaliabu

How to add drivers when updating from 7 to 10 ?

HI, i have fallowed this post ( https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13917-how-can-i-use-the-upgrade-task-sequence-in-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch/ )and managed to create an image to update windows 7 clients to windows 10.

How can i add drivers to this task sequence ? fallowing the post above it shows me how to add a driver package to the image. But how about when you have different models to upgrade with different hardware ?

Do i create a "Download package content" for each driver package and then use wmic to query the computer model to which the driver package will be deployed to and in this way, having one task sequence for multiple hardware versions?

PS: I already asked this in the link above a week ago and so far, no answer, thats why i am creating a new post hopping for some one to help me out with this.

Thank you.

Hello,

The way it was done in the link you provided was doing drivers with download package content. You'd do a different package content for each model device you have and make that run only if your wmi query for that hardware matches. In the example they only did one, but if you had more, you'd just add with the appropriate drivers and wmi query. Then when the upgrade operating system step runs afterwards, it looks for the drivers that were downloaded from the earlier download package content steps and applies them.

That's one way to do it, but the way I did it was rather than have multiple download package content steps and deal with variables and paths (that some people had issues with), I just skipped the download content package parts and made multiple upgrade operating steps. One for each model and selected driver package instead of staged content and then added a WMI filter to the step.

Either methods should achieve the same result but the way I went with made more sense to me and seem more strait forward. The method posted as I said also works and also shows off a new feature in task sequences so its good to get familiar with that anyway.

Hello,

I'm not sure if that gets logged anywhere but I suppose you can compare 2 machines of the same model. Install one without specifying a driver package and then one with. You should see a difference (hopefully) on the one without driver packages having missing devices.