surfincow

Upgrade original Windows 10 to 1511 during OSD

Hello,

We are still deploying the original Windows 10 for OSD. We've started upgrading our existing workstations to 1511 via Software Update and I'm working on building the new image for 1607. Its probably going to be a few more weeks until that is ready and at present our service desk after deploying a machine needs to run the upgrade to 1511. This isn't ideal as it takes manual work that we want to avoid.

I tried adding the "Upgrade Operating System" task sequence step to the existing task sequence but that does not appear to work. Looking for the 1511 update in the list of updates to patch the image offline isnt there either.

Is there any way to automatically upgrade the OS to 1511 during OSD or offline so it does not need to be done post-deployment?

Thanks

Hi Sandy, Yes, we are using the in place upgrade for our current Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, this would be for brand new machines.

ConfigMangler - Reason to upgrade the OS during OSD is there is quite a bit of customization done in the base OS that's already in use. Enough that to go through and build a new image for deployment versus spend time working on the 1607 image does not make sense. If I could quickly upgrade the OS during deployment that would be handy as it would require little to no work and allow me to direct resources towards 1607.