Johnny_Eyebrows

Linking to an existing WSUS setup with SCCM1606

Hi all -

Finally, after many years, we are replacing our existing SCCM2007 environment with SCCM (Current Branch) - Woo hoo, the most up-to-date system we have!

Mostly, all is good with the setup so far - I'm using the guides pinned here to help, doing migration of existing objects carefully, checking it works correctly, arranging plans for taking control of the domain computers in a steady, controlled fashion, trying to ensure that nothing too devastating will go wrong!

However, a query has arisen

We have an existing WSUS system running and I would like to link it to SCCM without disrupting the current setup. We want our WSUS server to keep sending the updates out under the current methods, but we want to be able to control it from SCCM if updates are needed for compliance methods, or as prerequisites for particular applications (if that makes sense?)

So far, I seem to only be able to find info on using SCCM for the entire task, with either a local or remote(from SCCM) DB. Do I just follow the setup as with a remote DB, or is there another method to use if wanting to keep the remote server in charge.

I hope I haven't made it seem too confusing!

you can link it to SCCM but it will disrupt the existing setup, clients either get updates from MS, from SCCM (via the sup) or via WSUS, the recommended approach here would be to start afresh with your WSUS setup for SCCM, and yes it's fine to host it on another server with it's own database.

Once you switch your clients to get updates from SCCM then the backend infrastructure (SCCM+SUP) must be ready to deliver those updates, and that won't happen with your existing WSUS infrastructure

Let's see what the others say though, you may get additional advice,

cheers

niall

• Like 1

Go through the software update dependencies link here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/plan-design/prerequisites-for-software-updates,it has all information before you link your existing wsus to CMCB.

the most recommended and to avoid any future issues ,it is good to to with New WSUS server for your CMCB ,install SUP and get your clients patched.

• Like 1

Thank you all - I'll be looking at the info you've shared, and we'll be seeing about taking over the role with SCCM after then :) Will probably be a bit down the line though - Get SCCM running nicely first, then take the other role too

(All the power is mine Mwahahahahahahahahahahhah! Sorry, got carried away there...)