CCampbell

OSD - Not Loading on specific model

Question

We recently began purchasing an updated model of laptop as they discontinued our older. Specifically Dell E5570's. I'm attempting to do an OSD on the laptops and keep running into the same issue. I don't believe my SCCM server is misconfigured or non-working because I can still deploy an OSD to the older models with no issue.

I can load the boot image okay. Once I load into the OSD, I get "Windows is starting up..." and then "Preparing network connections". Afterwards all dialogues disappear and after about 2 minutes the laptop restarts.

When trying to access the log, I open the CMD prompt and attempt to map a drive so that I can copy it. I get a "System error 1231 - network location cannot be reached" when trying to map the drive. However, I've tried injecting every iteration of network driver available into the boot image.

I know that it's most likely a driver issue-- but are there any recommendations on how to fix it if every available driver from the OEM doesn't seem to work? Is there an alternate way to load a driver?

7 answers to this question

The PxeGetPxeData failed error is the most notable for me. I found a technet article on it possibly being a DHCP/self-assigned address issue. But if I enter the CMD prompt and do an IP renew I get "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." It still sounds like a driver issue to me, but I've went back again and reinjected the newest drivers into the boot image.

I install the drivers on an identical machine I hand loaded and then pull them out using DoubleDriver. I get those drivers from Dell and Intel, neither of which worked appropriately. My procedure may be a bit odd but it's worked on the rest of our system and it's what was left to me when I started with nearly no knowledge of SCCM.

2012 R2 with the 1511 update.

Have you tried injecting the Windows 10 NIC driver for this model of laptop into the boot file?

Are you importing the OS drivers for various models the same way using DoubleDriver?

If so there are dell cab packs available for SCCM import here for a stream of DELL models: Here

Also the majority of manufacturers now provide a driver bundle for their models for importing when using an SMS system like CM.

If injecting the W10 NIC driver does not work you could create a new x64 boot file and then import the WinPE10.x64 cab file into it from the site attached and try it for booting your laptop.

Have you tried injecting the Windows 10 NIC driver for this model of laptop into the boot file?

Are you importing the OS drivers for various models the same way using DoubleDriver?

If so there are dell cab packs available for SCCM import here for a stream of DELL models: Here

Also the majority of manufacturers now provide a driver bundle for their models for importing when using an SMS system like CM.

If injecting the W10 NIC driver does not work you could create a new x64 boot file and then import the WinPE10.x64 cab file into it from the site attached and try it for booting your laptop.

Yes, I have the Windows 10 Drivers in the boot file. This is how I've done older models, so I know it's an odd way to do it but it does work. Honestly, I've had no luck with cab packs from Dell, maybe it's just me not understanding it.

Also check out this blog post https://www.niallbrady.com/2011/08/31/missing-nic-driver-in-winpe-boot-image-no-problem/

This will give you the opportunity to test your drivers without constantly rebuilding your PE.

I did manage to get one PC to image using this. Though I found some inconsistencies (like no model # listed in caption in any of the four devices) I was able to successfully use the vendor ID and the Microsoft Catalog driver seems to be working okay-- albeit at this moment it's hand loaded. Once this PC is finished with the OSD I'll see if I can use that driver to get the rest completed without having to manually load it in the CMD prompt.

I thank Rocketman and Peter33 for the assistance. I'll see what happens here after I mess with the drivers a bit.