Kops

C:\_SMSTaskSequence Left Over after OSD

I've started to notice that after an OSD completes, there is a folder C:\_SMSTaskSequence that is left over, containing packages that were applied during OSD, totaling anywhere from 5-10gb.

I started with the SMSTS.log file and found a few errors right near the end of the TS.

Failed to open key Software\Microsoft\SMS\[verylongnumber]\SMSTS TSManager 2016-10-20 5:26:49 PM 3544 (0x0DD8)

Failed to set log directory. Some execution history may be lost. The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows) OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:27:26 PM 632 (0x0278)

GetActiveRequest failed with error code 0x87d01012 OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:28:13 PM 632 (0x0278)
GetActiveRequest failed. 0x87D01012. OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:28:13 PM 632 (0x0278)
ReleaseActiveRequest failed. 0x87d01012. OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:28:13 PM 632 (0x0278)

RegQueryValueExW is unsuccessful for Software\Microsoft\SMS\Task Sequence, SMSTSEndProgram OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:28:51 PM 632 (0x0278)
GetTsRegValue() is unsuccessful. 0x80070002. OSDSetupHook 2016-10-20 5:28:51 PM 632 (0x0278)

The 0x87D01012 errors lead me to a few articles about using the "Retry" option in the Install Software Updates task. I've enabled the retry and set it to retry 5 times, but the _SMSTaskSequence folder still exists and the errors are still there as well. If I run a TS without Software Updates it runs fine and doesn't leave any leftover folders.

I've also tried integrating all available updates into the OS Image, but the issue still remains.

I've attached a copy of my smsts.log file, can anyone help identify why this folder is leftover after OSD? Also - why do I always have 2 smsts.log files (one with a date/timestamp)?

smsts.log

smsts-20161020-202855.log

OK - I was able to narrow this down a little bit. It is only happening on devices where I captured the image from a VM. If I built the image using a physical reference machine, the C:\_SMSTaskSequence folder doesn't exist.

This could possible be because the VMs are built by installing Windows, applying all available updates, and capturing the image to .wim. I thought that was best practice but maybe this is causing some issues?

hi it's seems it's failing directly after the reboot after installing windows updates

Failed to set log directory. Some execution history may be lost.
The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)

due to this the task sequence cannot continue hence the presence of that folder,

as a test, disable the install software updates sstep on your image that was captured on a vm (good practice indeed) and see does it complete as normal, if so, then you must focus on the Install Software Updates step and why it's causing you problems

is this Windows 7 you are deploying ? if so have you tried using Offline Servicing to inject those updates into the captured wim file ?

Thanks for lending a hand, Anyweb.

If I disable the Software Updates step, the C:\_SMSTaskSequence folder does not exist.

When I captured the Windows 7 image, I basically installed Win7 in a VM, install all windows updates, and captured to .wim. Should I avoid installing updates in the VM, and only apply them using SCCM afterwards? Or is my approach OK?

I have used SCCM to inject any available updates into the .wim, however there are about 20 updates that will not seem to inject into the image, despite it showing Successful in the console.

post-25027-0-13215800-1478710443.png

Event viewer has some errors that I will begin looking in to....I'm guessing there might be some relationship between certain updates failing during OSD and these updates failing to inject?

On 2016-11-09 10:05:26 AM, component SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER on computer RISCCMP2 reported: Offline Image Servicing Manager started applying updates on image with ID CM2000D3.
On 2016-11-09 10:05:26 AM, component SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER on computer RISCCMP2 reported: Offline Image Servicing Manager does not support image with ID CM2000D3 (image index 1) and therefore will not process this image.
On 2016-11-09 10:06:26 AM, component SMS_OFFLINE_SERVICING_MANAGER on computer RISCCMP2.DBRI.LOCAL reported: Offline Image Servicing Manager failed to apply update with ID 16778571 on image with ID CM2000D3 (image index 2).

It looks like I was able to resolve the issue thanks to this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2894518

I added a "Set Task Sequence Variable" task just before the Install Software Updates task, and set the value to 600. After doing this, it looks like images are deploying OK and without the _SMSTaskSequence folder being left over afterwards.