ilkert

Unable to join new primary site to CAS site

Question

Hi All,

Im hitting my head against brick walls amongst other solid objects in an attempt to resolve an issue I'm having when trying build and join a new primary site to an existing CAS in SCCM 2016.

Im currently building a new SCCM hierarchy where i plan on having 1 CAS + 3 NEW primary sites. Ive built the CAS site and database just fine but now im attempting to build my first primary site which will join the hierarchy but im being presented with the following:

"Setup was unable to retrieve the Software Assurance settings for the specified central administration site server. Verify that you have entered the correct FQDN for the central administration site and that it is accessible from this server"

I have confirmed both my new Primary site server and the account im logging in and running the setup wizard has got admin access on the CAS server and Database server (including the appropriate access in SQL). I've also confirmed i can resolve that FQDN from the primary site. The ConfigMgrSetupWizard logs show the following:

11/1/2016 3:30:32 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Cannot detect SMS Type because either SiteServer, SqlServer or SiteServerName is empty.
11/1/2016 3:53:00 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/1/2016 3:53:19 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/1/2016 4:04:52 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/1/2016 4:09:48 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/1/2016 4:13:52 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/2/2016 9:57:30 AM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Sql connection is established.
11/2/2016 9:58:23 AM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Verbose: 1 : Exiting SetupWPF.exe.
I'm on the verge of giving up and just building a separate primary site and joining to hierarchy later but from what ive read i think im limited to doing to only for 1 site but i may have misread that.
Has anybody come across this problem or have any suggestion on things i can try to get the join to CAS option working "out of the box"?
Thanks in advance team.

2 answers to this question

Ok found what the problem was.

The section which asks about a Software Assurance expiry date during install but doesn't appear to be compulsory field and allows you to carry on when left empty comes back to bite you when Multi-Primary hierarchy is involved. I went and added the actual date on CAS and it was happy again.