mis@ypit.com

Unable to figure out how to get OSDComputerName to work

Question

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU3 (5.0.8239.1403)

Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 x64 CB (KMS Product Key)

I am unable to figure out how to create a task sequence that deploys Win10 using OSDComputerName.

Here is what I am doing:

Create Hyper-V VM

Install Windows 10

Run Windows Update

System is NOT joined to a domain

Use capture media and import as new OS image

Create task sequence; I have tried moving around the 'Set Task Sequence Variable' but nothing seems to work

post-19264-0-67077000-1478128198.jpg post-19264-0-17925800-1478128208.jpg

PXE boot and run task sequence

Enter something like 'OSDTEST' when prompted for 'OSDComputerName'

The result is a system that joins the domain with a name like MININT-XXXXXXX.

Other tidbits:

There is nothing in the C:\Windows\Panther\Unattend folder. I believe there is supposed to be an Unattend.xml file there.

My task sequence includes a few other customizations including installing the SCCM Client and a couple of applications. All of these other things work great.

smsts.log

6 answers to this question

If you have enabled unknown computer support on your PXE DP then you add the OSDComputerName collection variable to the built-in Unknown computer collection as per this guide

There are scripts available also if you read further through the guide that does the naming for unknown Computers also.

It looks just like the example in the guide.

post-19264-0-68355800-1478203235.jpg

When I run the task sequence I get a prompt for OSDComputerName, enter whatever I want, and then the task sequence continues on its merry way. Unfortunately for me I can find no proof that the task sequence used the name I entered. My logs look just like the logs submitted by people showing an OSD that successfully used the variable.

Rocket Man's question 'what does it do' confused me for a while. A lot of the posts dealing with using OSDComputerName make it sound like the variable is baked in to SCCM and it 'just automagically' works. While searching around I found someone else who was having the same problem. This other person mentioned adding the 'set task sequence variable' AND setting it to %OSDComputerName%. Ah...is that what Rocket Man was talking about!?! I have never used variables in a task sequence before so I had no idea what actually needed to be done.

This is what the OSDComputerName task sequence needs to look like:

post-19264-0-71266100-1478209982.jpg

I forgot to mention that I used the same link you provided as a guide to set everything up. It is my belief that I have configured everything properly,

This is why I asked and now I am confused :wacko: as stated previously it's not on the task sequence you set this its on the unknown collection as a collection variable as per the guide ;)

If you take a look further down the guide I have submitted a vbs script that will also do the naming for you. Just create a package from the vbs script no need for a program, distribute to DP(s).

On your deployed Task Sequence apply a run command line step directly after partition disk step and in the command line task simply enter in the name you called the script i:e PromptForSystemName.vbs and then in the package option of this task select the vbs script package.

Example:

osdname.JPG