Captain Medo

Hardware inventory

Question

7 answers to this question

ok the below is from windows-noob member Dom, and most likely from Sherry Kissinger, the MofMaster, hopefully Dom will chime in on this thread soon, I've just edited it slightly for clarity

1) Edit the following MOF files found in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv.

a. Configuration.mof

b. sms_def.mof

2)

Compile the two MOF files with the command

mofcomp

within the folder c:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv.

a. Using a test workstation do a couple of Machine Policy refreshes, waiting 1-2 min between each refresh.

1. Start > Control Panel > Configuration Manager > Tab Actions > Select Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle

2. Then for good measure, take a 3 minute break.

3. Then on that client,

a. invoke a Hardware Inventory Action,

And

b. watch inventoryagent.log on that client. If you see a line about Select Enterprise_PC, MonSN, ... from mccsinv it is going well.

c. then in a few minutes you might see it pass through dataldr.log on the server.

d. then wait a few more minutes, then go check resource explorer for that client.

Surely from Sherry as for SCCM between her and Garth I was able to solve 105% of my issues :)

This is the content of the MOF files I used:

CONFIGURATION.MOF

//========================

// Added extensions start

#pragma namespace ("\\\\.\\root\\cimv2")

#pragma deleteclass("mccsinv", NOFAIL)

[DYNPROPS]

Class mccsinv

{

[key] string KeyName;

String Enterprise_PC;

String MonSN;

String MonPartNum;

String DeviceSN;

String DevicePartNum;

String Device_Location;

String Monitor_Model;

String DeviceCPU_Model;

};

[DYNPROPS]

Instance of mccsinv

{

keyname="MCCS INV";

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|Enterprise_PC"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] Enterprise_PC;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|MonSN"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] MonSN;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|MonPartNum"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] MonPartNum;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|DeviceSN"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] DeviceSN;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|DevicePartNum"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] DevicePartNum;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|Device_Location"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] Device_Location;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|Moniter Model"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] Monitor_Model;

[PropertyContext("Local|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\MCCS\\MCCSINV|DeviceCPU Model"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] DeviceCPU_Model;

};

// Added extensions end

then:

SMS_DEF.MOF

//**************************************************************************

#pragma namespace ("\\\\.\\root\\cimv2\\SMS")

#pragma deleteclass("mcccsinv", NOFAIL)

[sMS_Report(TRUE),SMS_Group_Name("mccsinv"),SMS_Class_ID("MCCS INV|mccsinv|1.0")]

Class mccsinv: SMS_Class_Template

{

[sMS_Report(TRUE),key] string KeyName;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String Enterprise_PC;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String MonSN;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String MonPartNum;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String DeviceSN;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String DevicePartNum;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String Device_Location;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String Monitor_Model;

[sMS_Report(TRUE)] String DeviceCPU_Model;

};

Troubleshooting links:

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/8/view.asp?id=11236

To have more information for inventory:

http://www.myitforum.com/myITWiki/SCCMINV.ashx

The tool from Mark Cochrane is excellent to create these MOF files by copy/paste

http://www.myitforum.com/inc/upload/12336RegKeyToMOF.zip

Thanks,

Dom

Much as I like SCCM 2007 and 2012 I somehow feel that Microsoft have let themselves down with this Inventory system. Has anyone made an integrating piece of software that will create an asset management system that you can actually use without having a degree in MOF? :blink:

I want to put my own asset info, purchase date, PO number, owner, location to an asset. As SCCM has a client I would expect that to be used to egt the data I can then augment myself.

Does anyone know of any software that will allow this, and maintain it in a readable form without needing to run reports etc?

Tyhe harwareinventory software looks nice, shame to have to use more bandwidth to glean the same info a second time though.

I really hope SCSM would have this as it is servcie desk \ asset type stuff folks woudl want, but I can't see any of therse features there either :(

Anyone want to make my day with a solution - please......

Cheers

RichieB