Polarman

Powershell - msi install from UNC

Question

Hi, I need help changing this script to start install from a share instead of files being downloaded and cached before installing...

For use with SCCM 2012

$SPSSArgs = '"IBM SPSS Statistics 24.msi" AUTHCODE="mycodehere" INSTALLPYTHON="0" ENABLE_JAB="1"'
$MSIexecArgs = "/qb ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIUQUPQ /norestart /i"
Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList "$SPSSArgs $MSIexecArgs" -Wait
Do I need to rebuild the whole script?
Knut

6 answers to this question

Do I need to rebuild the whole script?

Nope. Just make sure the "Domain Computers" group has read permissions for the share.

Set-Location "\\SERVERNAME\SHARE"
$SPSSArgs = '"IBM SPSS Statistics 24.msi" AUTHCODE="mycodehere" INSTALLPYTHON="0" ENABLE_JAB="1"'
$MSIexecArgs = "/qb ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIUQUPQ /norestart /i"
Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList "$SPSSArgs $MSIexecArgs" -Wait -NoNewWindow
  • Like 1

Hi, I need help changing this script to start install from a share instead of files being downloaded and cached before installing...

For use with SCCM 2012

Ok, I will byte, why do you want to install it form a UNC, vs downloading it to the cache?

Ok, I will byte, why do you want to install it form a UNC, vs downloading it to the cache?

Downloading 12000 files takes a long time downloading (the users usually thinks something is wrong and restart when it's stuck on "downloading" in SC), and we have software that is 40 gb's too...

Downloading 12000 files takes a long time downloading (the users usually thinks something is wrong and restart when it's stuck on "downloading" in SC), and we have software that is 40 gb's too...

Using UNC connection will mean you are using SNB and therefore there is NO network throttling involved or the ability to use branch cache for this. Therefore it will use 100% of the network connection forcing other applications to not be as responsive. Additionally this will increase your changes of an install failure due to networking issues.

I would serious reconsider this particularly if you are install two or more computers on the same network and have branch cache enabled.

Create a self extracting 7zip file and extact the content to $env:temp + somedir. Then start the Installation from this location. Delete the temp dir after the Installation is finished.Problem solved.

Had a similar Installation with 20K+ tiny files and went this way.