quadzilla

Replication issues Pri to Cas

setup :-

Cas - VMWare 6 (W2k8)

Pri - Physical (W2k12)

2 x SQL (1 for CAS, 1 for Pri) - both physical 2k12

I did an in place upgrade of my OS on my virtual CAS server from 2k8 - 2k12 - 2k12R2.

All went well and there was no obvious errors etc, after a couple of days I noticed some issues with the reports I was running - these are on the SQL box used by the CAS.

needless to say I used the replication link analyser tool and found the issue, which was ...

"

... does not have a valid security scope for local system account

fixed by adding the "NT Authority\System" account to the "sysadmin" role on the SQL box

"

my question - while the servers weren't replicating properly I created about 10 different collections on the Primary - which after the replication started again have disappeared - is there anyway / anywhere I can check to see if these are in a queue somewhere to be replicated as the changes are played through or will I need to recreate them again ?

Cheers

my question - while the servers weren't replicating properly I created about 10 different collections on the Primary - which after the replication started again have disappeared - is there anyway / anywhere I can check to see if these are in a queue somewhere to be replicated as the changes are played through or will I need to recreate them again ?

Since you have a CAS, all management tasks should occur at the CAS itself and not on the primary site. Depending on how long the CAS/Pri link was down, a full sync might have occurred and as such all of the collections maybe lost.

I suspected this to be the case - normally everything is done from the CAS but as this is to do with collection for local Software updates from the primary in question. the collections are only needed there.

we use the cas as an easy way to update 2 different primary servers with packages / drivers / osd tasks (the 2 primary's are for 2 sub domains), makes administration and package migration between the 2 domains easy (there is a 1 way trust).

thanks

is it possible that the CAS has the site locked somehow ? / still replicating ?

the reason I ask is that I can no longer create collections at the primary - I get an error "The create device collection wizard completed with errors" - Error: The SMS Provider reported an error

but I can create them at the CAS and they appear at the primary within a couple of mins

I suspected this to be the case - normally everything is done from the CAS but as this is to do with collection for local Software updates from the primary in question. the collections are only needed there.

we use the cas as an easy way to update 2 different primary servers with packages / drivers / osd tasks (the 2 primary's are for 2 sub domains), makes administration and package migration between the 2 domains easy (there is a 1 way trust).

thanks

A collection create at a primary site will ALWAYS be replicated to CAS and any other primary site. So you should always create your collections on your CAS.

is it possible that the CAS has the site locked somehow ? / still replicating ?

the reason I ask is that I can no longer create collections at the primary - I get an error "The create device collection wizard completed with errors" - Error: The SMS Provider reported an error

but I can create them at the CAS and they appear at the primary within a couple of mins

I doubt that it still replicating.

You need to dig deeper into the error by looking at the logs but you might have to restore you site to before the replication issue occurred.