simulacra75

Selective Task Sequence Display

Hi there

I apologise if this has been asked before but i cannot find anything specific to what i'm thinking. What i would like to do is only show a particular Task Sequence to a machine that PXE boots or USB boots from a particular location. Currently our TS's are deployed to the Unknown Computers collection and this works fine but i'd like to add some granularity to the whole process. For example, in Japan they only deploy the OS in Japanese so i'd prefer those folks to only "see" a Task Sequence of my choosing that only contains the Japanese OS. Likewise i would not want a European PXE boot to be able to see this Japanese TS. Does that make sense?

I'd hope to avoid having my admins have to do any pre-import work, etc to get this to work. Ideally i want a PXE boot (or USB boot) in Japan to show one set of Task Sequences and the same PXE boot (or USB boot) in Europe to show an entirely different set of Task Sequences.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing!

Thanks

Gerry

Not sure if possible using unknown computers. As a collection is a collection irrespective of country its being launched from.

Slightly off topic but are the images similar? Why not use a single task sequence with languages installed based on conditions? We have a single task sequence thats used globally.

If the image is installed in UK, the machine is built to uk spec, if the same image is installed in Japan, its built to japanese spec with the languages etc. This is based on the subnet its being built at

• Like 1

Have you looked at using the hidden task sequence method?

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/6456-how-can-i-deploy-a-hidden-task-sequence-in-configuration-manager-2012-sp1/

Give your Japan team the deployment ID of their TS and the Euro team the Deployment ID of their TS.

This is probably limited to one TS available per boot, but if you have numerous geographical TS's i:e 5 for Japan & 5 for Europe then you issue the IDs with the TS names i:e Win7 Japan, Win 8.1 Japan, Win 10 Japan etc etc .... then its up to the team to enter in the ID for the relevant TS.

EDIT: Its not limited to one available TS per boot :blink: .....bit of work required for set up but should work for what you need!

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/10374-how-can-i-make-multiple-hidden-task-sequences-available-on-demand-in-configuration-manager-2012-r2/

Edited by Rocket Man

Not sure if possible using unknown computers. As a collection is a collection irrespective of country its being launched from.

Slightly off topic but are the images similar? Why not use a single task sequence with languages installed based on conditions? We have a single task sequence thats used globally.

If the image is installed in UK, the machine is built to uk spec, if the same image is installed in Japan, its built to japanese spec with the languages etc. This is based on the subnet its being built at

Well, i already have a single Task Sequence with the relevant OS WIM files referenced within it and each regional location is able to choose what OS language they wish to install. What i'm ultimately trying to achieve is not having to deploy a whole bunch of WIM files to Distribution Points where they're never going to be used. Currently i must distribute them to all OSD Distribution Points or else the TS fails because it cannot reference the content on a local DP. Given that each WIM file is about 6GB, it would make the back-end distribution of the WIM files much quicker if i only had to deploy the English WIM file to my European locations, for example. Hope that answers your question.