Edenost

Snapshot Synchronization Failing

Question

Hi there,

I have a fairly new SCOM install up at the moment.

It consists of:

2 Management Servers

2 Gateway servers on other domains using certificates

1 SQL Server with two instances, one for OperationsDB and one for WarehouseDB.

Ever since I installed it a couple of weeks ago, I get the following error every now and then, and it can last for up to 2 days at a time:

OpsMgr Management Configuration Service failed to execute 'SnapshotSynchronization' engine work item due to the following exception
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperationTimeoutException' was thrown.
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperation.ExecuteSynchronously(Int32 timeoutSeconds, WaitHandle stopWaitHandle)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.CmdbOperations.CmdbDataProvider.GetConfigurationSnapshotNextBatch(SnapshotProcessWatermark watermark)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.TracingConfigurationDataProvider.GetConfigurationSnapshotNextBatch(SnapshotProcessWatermark watermark)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.SnapshotSynchronizationWorkItem.TransferData(SnapshotProcessWatermark initialWatermark)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.SnapshotSynchronizationWorkItem.ExecuteSharedWorkItem()
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Interop.SharedWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Interop.ConfigServiceEngineWorkItem.Execute()
Now when this is happening, I also get a whole bunch of others:
post-20536-0-13261600-1480084614.png
Once the original error above clears, the others also resolve, so I'm only interested in said error I'm assuming.
I have been running the following query on the OperationsDB on SQL:
Select WorkItemName, b.WorkItemStateName, ServerName, StartedDateTimeUtc, CompletedDateTimeUtc, DurationSeconds, ERRORMESSAGE
from cs.WorkItem a , cs.WorkItemState b
where a.WorkItemStateId= b.WorkItemStateId
and WorkItemName = 'SnapshotSynchronization'
Which returns the following:
post-20536-0-05707600-1480084797.png
On one which was succeeded, the day before, the time shows 302.
I have increased the timeouts on the config files on both Management servers and restarted the services (even the servers themselves), but still nothing helps.
Pulling my hair out with this a bit!
All machines are Windows Server 2012R2.
We do run them on VMWare with DRS enabled, but they haven't migrated for some time, so it's not a host/network thing as far as I can see.
OpsMgr is running as normal mostly, still monitoring things and reporting, but I cannot add new objects to monitor until this clears.
The Management Servers and others also show this in the even log:
"OpsMgr's configuration may be out-of-date for management group <Management Group>, and has requested updated configuration from the Configuration Service.", but I don't see successful update of the cookie until this issue resolves itself.
Any help is much appreciated!
Cheers
Phil

3 answers to this question