asgeirsig

After upgrading to SCCM 1610 some systems are unable to download Windows updates

Haven't had the chance to investigate, but this is somehow related to the sccm client as computers which still have client version 5.00.8412.1307 have no problem downloading and installing the updates. Only the newer clients like 5.00.8458.1005 and 5.00.8458.1007 just create the folders in c:\windows\ccmcache but do not download the updates.

Not sure if it is significant but in the LocationServices.log I see these differences:

Update gets downloaded to computer:
Distribution Point='net:http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/12/windows6.1-kb3207752-x64_47a878b920c5094a0e73c053e8f602df1fbb8286.cab',Locality='REMOTE', DPType='WUMU', Version='0', Capabilities='<Capabilities/>', Signature='', ForestTrust='FALSE', LocationServices 20.12.2016 21:23:09 3868 (0x0F1C)
Update does not download to computer:
Distribution Point='net:http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/12/windows8.1-kb3205401-x64_321b77e058ef0377d84e6f0d25b360a05a363ad3.cab',Locality='WUMU', Version='0', Capabilities='<Capabilities/>', Signature='', ForestTrust='FALSE', LocationServices 20.12.2016 21:38:37 2180 (0x0884)

Greetings! I have also been struggling with a similar issue, seemingly only on client operating systems. Our single primary site was at 1606, did the update to 1610 without issue, then enabled the site-wide client upgrade over 30 days. I realized that our clients were actually still on 1511, though. When I deployed December updates, I included them in a newly created 2016 Software Update Group, deleted all the previous SUGs, then created new ones for 2015 and for 2014 and Prior--all deployed in December.

What I noticed was that I had about 2500 machines out of ~10K that were in an error state when viewing the deployment through the Monitoring workspace. The error is

“Failed to install updates”, Error Code: 0x80040e37, Error Description: unknown error (-2147217865).

When I look at one of the affected clients, I also saw messages like those previously reported in the UpdatesDeployment.log

Failed to get SDM CI for update from type store, error = 0x80070002

Failed to GetSupersededUpdatesFromDigest for the update

UpdatesHandler.log,

Since then, I have deployed January updates to our pilot groups and found that the pilot servers were updated properly, but the clients just sit with updates in Software Center as "Past Due - Will Be Installed." This is a required deployment, ASAP/ASAP, with no maintenance window on the clients, and I even tried it outside of business hours although I thought it ignores that after the deadline anyway.

The weird thing is that I can install an update locally from Software Center. I have a case open with Microsoft, but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

It seems that the problem in my case was the new feature "Delay enforcement of this deployment according to user preferences, up to the grace period defined in client settings" on the Scheduling tab of the Software Update Deployment that wasn't working as I had intended. The clients just stayed with the required software update as "Past Due - Will be installed." Hopefully that helps somebody else. Maybe a bug that will be fixed in a later update.

• Like 1

It seems that the problem in my case was the new feature "Delay enforcement of this deployment according to user preferences, up to the grace period defined in client settings" on the Scheduling tab of the Software Update Deployment that wasn't working as I had intended. The clients just stayed with the required software update as "Past Due - Will be installed." Hopefully that helps somebody else. Maybe a bug that will be fixed in a later update.

Thank you so much. This helped in my case and resolved the problem. It's sickening that there is no logfile telling about the problem. I wasted a couple of hours searching for the root cause. :D