RoTheOne

1610 Issues deploying Windows 6 x64 to Newer Dell Laptops

Hi guys,

First up it is Windows 7 not 6, that would be a trick...

We have an existing OSD that works well with our older laptops but which randomly fails without on screen error with our newer Dell Laptops (7370 and 5570). I have injected the correct USB3/Nvme drivers into our windows 7 installation wim and if I build a simple task sequence that only installs window, the dell driver cab and sccm client then I get a successful finished build with the client and drivers all working nicely.

As soon as I layer on our SOE applications (Office, Java, Adobe, SAP, Cisco VPN, Symantec AV) then I run into issues. The TS will install a few of the applications and then randomly reboots taking the computer to the login screen without resuming the OSD TS.

In the logs the last actions do not have any errors or failure information and the screen shuts down without showing any errors before these weird reboots. Stranger still the task sequence is the same one that is working on our other existing computers so I know that the packages work etc.

I have tried a few things to remedy this so far:

- Reimport drivers - No change

- Tried using different NIC's and models (Dell USB ethernet dongle as well as Dell WD15 dock) - No change on behaviour

- Change task sequence application install order (simply resulted in the random reboots happening at a different point with a different application)

- Change from auto detect and apply device drivers to apply specific device package (no change)

- Set TS variables for SMSTSDownloadRetryCount, RetryDelay and MPListRequestTimeout per some guides online (no change)

- Tried both UEFI imaging and Legacy imaging (same issues)

- Tried using multiple different computers of the same model to rule out hardware failure (same behaviour)

The task sequences install slower on these dell laptops as well. The install and initialise SCCM client step takes 20 minutes where it normally takes just a few minutes. Why would it be so much slower on one model over another I do not know.

Any suggestions? Have been working on this for two weeks and starting to run out of ideas.