Perkyier

Hello!

Hello everybody! I work for a K-12 school district and we just deployed System Center about a year and a half ago. I have a background in Novell, however, we converted to Microsoft at the same time we stood up System Center. All this done in approximately six months with no project planning to speak of! So, I (for one) am still playing catch up. My role is now Service Manager Administrator, mostly. Someone else installed it, and now I'm running it. At least, I like to think I am! Anyhow, so far so good. At this point we have only rolled out Service Requests. Next month we will pilot Incident Response at one school. We had some training on SCCM, but two (out of three, number three being me) of my co-workers ended up as the primary engineers in that area. I ended up with SCSM and no training other than about 20 hours sitting in the room with the Microsoft engineer who was setting us up, feeding me information he deemed important and me asking dumb questions of ignorance! ;) So, flying by the seat of our pants, we have not accumulated significant road rash! :) At his point, I am getting mugged by people who want reports! Data! Metrics! I don't find MS's reporting tools very intuitive in SCSM and I have not much of an idea about what I'm doing. I have created a couple of dashboards, that's given me a little experience and exposure to the tool, but doesn't quite cut the mustard. Any help is appreciated!

I'm also interested to find out how other school systems are implementing SCSM.

Thanks,

Charlie :wacko:

welcome to the forums, i'd highly recommend you get some training if at all possible, just to be sure that you don't do something you'll later regret :/

cheers !

niall

Is there a general consensus for recommended training providers? Your own suggestions?

I've been doing a lot of self study. I've got SCSM Cookbook, Orchestrator Cookbook, SCSM Unleashed and Orchestrator Unleashed for starters. Watched a lot of YouTube, read a bunch of blogs, etc. Some MS Virtual Academy. Had very good training on SCCM with GlobalKnowledge but it doesn't appear that the SCSM training that they have is suitable for me. I think all they offered was training on installation. We are almost a year into our implementation, so I'm ready for some training!