surfincow

Different Reboot Behavior: Software Update / Application / Package

Hello,

I've configured for our Windows 10 workstations (under client settings > Computer Restart set to 1440 (24 hours). The way I've always understood this to work is that anytime an Application / Package or Software Update required a restart that the user would have 24 hours after installation to do the reboot. Not sure if this has changed within the last few versions of ConfigMgr (currently 1606) but lately I've noticed the following.

Packages behave the way I would expect. If I deploy a package and install it 5 hours before the deadline, I get 24 hours before the reboot is enforced. I also get 24 hours to restart if not installed before the deadline.

Software Updates and Applications: If I install a software update or Application 5 hours before the deadline, I only get 5 hours before the restart is forced rather than 24 hours. If I let the deadline pass, the updates install and I get the 24 hour window.

Something seems odd that with packages you always get a 24 hour window but Applications and SU you only get the 24 reboot window if you don't install the updates before the deadline. If you install them before the deadline then the machine restarts at the deadline rather than after 24 hours. For those who decide to install an update or application in a time period shorter than 24 hours before the deadline they sort of loose some of the extra flexibility of when to restart since they have effectively a shorter window.

Is this the expected behavior?