Unique01

Coexistence, Upgrade Scenario from 2012 to Current Branch

Hi,

Need some advice from the experts in an upgrade scenario, from System Center 2012 SP1 to the Current Branch version.

We are responsible for the administration of a medium scale company (5000 hosts), and have implemented System Center 2012 SP1 site, with a similar configuration.

1 Server

Management Point

Site server

Reporting Server

Distribution Point

Software Update Point

2 Server

Distribution Point

All integrated with SQL Server 2008 SP3

We were given a new box and asked the job of upgrading our SCCM infraestructure, and there are some questions/possible issues i'd like to be explained.

1- What's the best approach? Upgrading directly from 2012 to Current Branch, or build a current branch from scratch and import the content?

2 - Building one from scratch will be more time consuming, but will not import perhaps some junk from our current site, and maybe eliminate some noob flaws commited in the past, design things more perfectly, etc..

But can i have both 2012 and Current Branch coexisting in the same domain, till everything is imported to the new one? I know we have to pay attention to boundaries.

I want to ear from your experience the pros and cons before choosing a way.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Cheers

I guess it all depends.

When a company I previously worked for went from 2007 to 2012, we stood up a totally new SCCM Infrastructure because we had lots of garbage spread across a lot of sites.

From 2012 to current branch, I would just do the upgrade UNLESS...

You have a lot of garbage left over from previous admins, legacy applications that no longer are needed, random issues with current infrastructure etc. Sometimes standing up a clean install because of previous administration issues are best. But you're going to have to sell the value of a fresh install and set the expectations with regard to install and setup time, value of a new system, how it impacts the user base etc.

That's the main issue. Honestly, i think this was the right moment to clean some garbage, and head to this new version with a clean infraestructure. (Windows Xp Machines, Collections, Software Updates, some packages/applications no longer needed, etc..)

The main question is that, in the process of migrating everything important to the newer version, will i have some problems with having the 2 servers online with diferent versions?

My expectations (if possible)

Now

SCCM 2012

Process of Migration

SCCM 2012 and Current Branch working side by side (No boundaries configured in CB)

Migration Completed

Current Branch SCCM alive and 2012 decomissioned

Cheers