spgsitsupport

UEFI x64 network boot

While doing PXE boot, wherever settings I have in DHCP server (for options 66/67) work just fine

But using Hyper-V Gen2 VM boot seems to insist on \Boot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi

Why not \SMSBoot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi ?

Where to change it?

Also does anybody use DHCP Policies on Server 2012 R2 as per:

https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=BIOS_and_UEFI_Co-Existence

Seb

DHCP options are not supported, use IP helpers instead which are configured on the core switches of the network.

Right now, if I set my UEFI TS to my 64bit boot image, it breaks all my 32bit OSD

You cant image an x86 machine using a x64 boot image but you can however image an x64 machine using an x86 boot file, would that be what you mean by it breaks my 32bit OSD

It is not a supported function from Microsoft!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/259670/pxe-clients-computers-do-not-start-when-you-configure-the-dynamic-host-configuration-protocol-server-to-use-options-60,-66,-67

quote:

Important: Microsoft does not support the use of these options on a DHCP server to redirect PXE clients

It is after all a Microsoft product you are using, so I would imagine Microsoft would not recommend best practices otherwise!

FYI: I had similar issues to what you are describing, but when options where removed as recommended from numerous blogs and IP helpers configured all worked seamlessly whether its a BIOS or UEFI boot.

Also another reason as to why you should use IP helpers: https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/15029-can-only-uefi-pxe-nce-no-longer-pxe-boots-afterwards/

That was the solution for me, gave UP on PXE server calls all together.

In flat network DHCP only works fine for either legacy BIOS or UEFI network boot

It is not confusing (unless the naming is confusing, but I can not change it), I started with network boot (also called client PXE boot) using PXE server, ended up doing network boot with DHCP only (no more PXE server)

I boot what I want, not what the system (which is not easily configurable) gives me