surfincow

Unable to import new bootimages

Hello,

After I upgraded ConfigMgr to 1610, I found none of my Windows 7 task sequences are able to complete. They fail at the "add driver" step and I believe it is due to the fact that the latest ADK 10.1.14393.0 is not backwards compatible with Windows 7. Since the ADK that is compatible with Windows 7 is not compatible with Windows 10 I had left the original working boot images for Windows 7 deployments and created a new boot image on the new ADK for Windows 10.

Unfortunately during the upgrade configmgr re-generates the default boot images as part of the installation process. The default boot images were for Windows 7 machines. I've tried to re-import previous backups of boot images I have but get "• You can not import this boot image. Only finalized boot images are supported. For more information press F1." I've run across this with multiple boot images. Looking at others with the same issue this was a few years ago related to McAffee AV which we do not use.

I created new boot images using the 1511 ADK and following these steps:

# Create x64 Windows 10 ADK Boot Image
mkdir D:\WINPEx64\Mount

Copy "D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim" D:\WINPEx64\boot.wim

dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:D:\WINPEx64\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:D:\WINPEx64\mount

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wmi.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-scripting.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wds-tools.cab"

dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:D:\WINPEx64\mount /commit

and try to import and I get the same error.

SMSprov.log reports:

ERROR> Error -2146498530 returned to execute the command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\dism.exe" /Image:"C:\Windows\TEMP\BootImages\{271040AD-B994-4EDC-9B5D-C6B286F87D15}\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab" SMS Provider 2/4/2017 6:32:51 PM 9772 (0x262C)

Failed to install required components into the boot image C:\Windows\TEMP\BootImages\{271040AD-B994-4EDC-9B5D-C6B286F87D15}\mount SMS Provider 2/4/2017 6:32:51 PM 9772 (0x262C)

*~*~e:\cm1610_rtm\sms\siteserver\sdk_provider\smsprov\sspbootimagepackage.cpp(4054) : Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file~*~* SMS Provider 2/4/2017 6:33:32 PM 9772 (0x262C)

*~*~Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file ~*~* SMS Provider 2/4/2017 6:33:32 PM 9772 (0x262C)

Not quite sure where to go from here. I'm guessing it fails since its trying inject components from the current ADK into the image created with the older and running into a problem. Quite annoyed at the fact the latested ADK which needs to be installed to support the latest version of Windows 10 does not support the older versions of Windows. Makes for managing these types of issues a huge pain. Am curious how others are managing this?

I've tried to find a list of folder paths to exclude for AV but can't find anything for the current version. At present I do exclude C:\Windows\Temp\BootImages and c:\ConfigMgr_OfflineImageServcing.

Any clue how to get this working so I can import the older boot images?

Thanks