Rico Bauer

SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 Customized Default User Profile has been reset from SCCM

Question

Hi,

i'm using SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 to deploy Windows 7. First i installed Win7 on a reference PC + installed Office and downloaded Patches. Finally i customized the logged on user and used the unattend.xml file with the "copyprofile" parameter in order to apply my desktop customizations to the default user profile. (sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml).

Next after shutdown i start from PXE and run a capture task sequence.

So far everything OK.

Now i apply my image to a new PC (erease disk, apply OS, apply Configuration Manager Client, apply software and drivers and join domain).

When i log on to the PC with a new user (domain user) my customized default profile is not used because SCCM for some reason has reset my changes (i dont know how) and also if i check the local user (the user were i made these changes) this profile also has been reset by SCCM.

What is the process to customize the default user profile and apply it succesfully to new PC's?

Any advice hint or trick?

best regards,

Rico

8 answers to this question

You read this right?

How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=973289

Perhaps the problem is your capture task sequence also includes a sysprep command, which may or may not reset your copyprofile settings?

I am not sure, but I think you need to create a custom capture task sequence that uses your sysprep command with the unattend.xml file.

I just read this:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/Q_24871141.html

Scroll to the bottom to find this post.

This is a solution I just came up with I have tested it several times and it works....

Do on your PC

This answer file can be reused as long as the NEW PC is created from the same Windows 7 DVD.

1. Install the AIK on your PC.

2. Copy install.wim and install_Windows 7 ENTERPRISE.clg to your temp directory from the sources folder on the Windows 7 DVD you used.

3. Run AIK and open install.wim as the windows image file.

4. Create a new answer file.

5. In bottom let pane right click on the Microsoft-Windows-Shell_Setup and add setting to pass 4 specialize.

6. Open 4 specialize in Middle Pane.

7. Click on the Microsoft-Windows-Shell_Setup and in far right pane choose true for CopyProfile and enter ProductKey.

8. Save Answer File to your temp directory as unattend.xml

Do on the NEW PC

1. Install Windows 7 on the New PC and sign on as the administrator and set up pc the way you want it (Programs, Start Menu, Power Settings, Home Page&).

2. Copy the unattend.xml to the NEW PC to the windows\system32\sysprep directory

3. Run sysprep /generalize /unattend:unattend.xml from the sysprep directory while signed on as administrator. Choose Generalize and Shut Down.

4. Write Ghost up to server.

This will produce a system independent image. Meaning you should be able to use it on any hardware, pc or laptop.

[/Quote]

This is NOT intended for SCCM, but for Ghost.

I'm trying to make a few adjustments to make it work with SCCM.

My testing will involve this:

1: Create one Build TS and one Capture TS. (If you followed Anyweb's guides you will know how to do this)

2: Log on to the local administrator account and make all changes I need to apply to the OS image. (The local administrator because once I run the capture TS I will have to run the sysprep from the local account and not a domain account because the first step in my capture TS is to join a workgroup.)

3: Copy the unattend.xml file into the sysprep directory.

4: Log on to the domain and run the Capture TS.

I will post back with my results once this has been tested.

Ps. my unattend.xml file contains this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

<settings pass="specialize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>

</component>

</settings>

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:g:/windows%207%20deployment/7x86ent.wim#1" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

</unattend>

[/Quote]

Pps. I don't recommend using my unattend.xml file in case it contains information specific to my configuration.

Update:

It worked! Kinda... ;)

Well, my regional settings are now applied correctly:

Formats (for time and currency), Location, Keyboard layout(both default and additional) and Timezone has turned out exactly like I customized my desktop prior to the capture TS.

What's weird is my desktop background is Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007... This may be due to a bug or due to me clicking something wrong.

I'll also need to set my network location to "Work" automatically. I know this can be done using unattend.xml but I will have to look into where this unattend.xml needs to be placed.

I suspect it is during the deployment after the capture TS has run.

I will redo everything tomorrow and write down a step-by-step guide with pictures.

At least it's possible to do this.

Hi,

before i try this please ensure the following:

1. I install the reference Computer and customize it.

2. I create and place a unattend.xml file into the sysprep folder of my reference PC. I start running sysprep with generalzize switch and shutdown the PC.

3. I boot the PC and SCCM start the Task Sequence once it has been detected by PXE Boot

4. SCCM will capture the Image and i save it.

5. I use the captured image and install it onto a new PC. Once the new PC starts it should have my customized settings?

Hi,

before i try this please ensure the following:

1. I install the reference Computer and customize it.

2. I create and place a unattend.xml file into the sysprep folder of my reference PC. I start running sysprep with generalzize switch and shutdown the PC.

3. I boot the PC and SCCM start the Task Sequence once it has been detected by PXE Boot

4. SCCM will capture the Image and i save it.

5. I use the captured image and install it onto a new PC. Once the new PC starts it should have my customized settings?

1: Yes

2: I put the Unattend.xml into the c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder. I didnt run the sysprep COMMAND, a task sequence ran that command for me.

If you create a "Build and Capture" TS, then remove the top part called Build.

That should leave you with a capture sequence you can run from Windows after you're done customizing and you have placed your unattend.xml file.

3: answer above

4: Capture sequence will automatically put the image on the network location you have specified. You'll know when it's done when the computer starts asking for language settings etc.

5: It did have my customized settings, but it did not have settings for networklocation as I had hoped.

Also windows update was not set like I wanted.

My next attempt was this:

I created an unattend file to specify network location and windows update.

integrated it to my deployment TS, but when I did that suddenly all my premade customizations on the image disappeared.

I suspect the image customization is where I need to place these settings aswell.

Will test more.

Hi Guys,

I created a capture media(CD) and use this instead of creating a new TS.

My questions is, Would just putting a copy of your Unattend.xml file in c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder be suffice?

or is there anything you need to do with your Capture media?

cheers

eJon