vrc

Applications Installation precedence

Question

do i need to restart the client to install software using TS, or do i just advertise it, and it runs normally as if i was just advertising a single program ?

just advertise it as any normal application :)

A Task Sequence can also be a good solution.

When there are a lot of dependencies I would use a Task Sequence (keep in mind that a Task Sequence can only be deployed to computers and not to users). When there are just one or two programs then I would use the solution of jamitupya.

Can you please tell the jamitupya's solution?

Regards,

• Like 1

A Task Sequence can also be a good solution.

When there are a lot of dependencies I would use a Task Sequence (keep in mind that a Task Sequence can only be deployed to computers and not to users). When there are just one or two programs then I would use the solution of jamitupya.

Since task sequence can only be deployed to computers and not users, want can be used to deployed to users that is like task sequence?

i'm having an issue deploying a task sequence to some computers that i hope this board can assist with. Basically I’m using a task sequence to deploy out some software because there are some dependencies and thus I need some logic built in. Currently most of our users are running Office 2007, but some have 2010. We’re implementing a plugin for Outlook and the client piece that I need to deploy has one version for 2007 and one version for 2010. I setup a package that has two programs, one for each version of the plugin. I then setup a task sequence and added both packages to it. Each package checks for their respective version of:

Outlook 2007:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\outlook.exe or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\outlook.exe:

Outlook 2010

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE

Outlook.exe.

Last I setup the advertisement for the task sequence.

What’s odd is I have about a 40% failure rate and a 16% success rate (other machines currently waiting on user to log off their pc). The failed status says “the task sequence manager could not successfully complete execution of the task sequence”. Furthermore, see it complete successfully on one machine and fail on another, but both have the same install of Office.

Any guidance or assistance is greatly appreciated!