anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

Hi Niall,

as always - great work there. Much appreciated.

Just a little point where I'am struggling right know and maybe some other people will run into it as well.

In some cases the run time of the deployment exceeds and I think this is the case when a user just wait more then 360 minutes before clicking on update now.

What happens then is that the user hits the button and nothing happens, I guess changing the value to 0 could help but maybe I'am completely wrong.

Do you have any thoughts on that behavior?

Greetings

Eric

hi Eric,

what does your execmgr.log reveal ? also, if you find tsagent.log does that have errors ?

can you also attach the 3 logs generated by the script in C:\ProgramData

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 7:40 PM, Jeff May-Stahl said:

I am having trouble with the script to create the device collections and I'm not sure why... Would you mind taking a look... I'm sure it's just a Monday oversight on my part.

Import-Module : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Name' because it is null.
At F:\Sources\windows-noob Required Windows 10 Upgrade\CreateWindows10DeviceCollections.ps1:184 char:14
+ Import-Module <<<<  $console
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Import-Module], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Get-PSDrive : Cannot find a provider with the name 'CMSite'.
At F:\Sources\windows-noob Required Windows 10 Upgrade\CreateWindows10DeviceCollections.ps1:185 char:22
+ $SiteCode=Get-PSDrive <<<<  -PSProvider CMSite
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (System.String[]:String[]) [Get-PSDrive], ProviderNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetLocationNoMatchingDrive,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetPSDriveCommand

Connecting to Set-Location : The given path's format is not supported.
At F:\Sources\windows-noob Required Windows 10 Upgrade\CreateWindows10DeviceCollections.ps1:188 char:3
+ cd <<<<  "$($SiteCode):"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (C:\Windows\system32\::String) [Set-Location], NotSupportedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemExistsNotSupportedError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

Set-Location : Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\system32\:' because it does not exist.
At F:\Sources\windows-noob Required Windows 10 Upgrade\CreateWindows10DeviceCollections.ps1:188 char:3
+ cd <<<<  "$($SiteCode):"
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Windows\system32\::String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

I had the same issue - try to import the powershell module for CM: "Import-Module 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\bin\ConfigurationManager.psd1'"

• Like 1

$location = Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty "UI Installation Directory"

Resolves to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole. 

That is the correct registry key. However AdminConsole folder is not in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager

The Module is only in x86 folder. I changed the registry 'UI Installation Directory' to point to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole and script is working after that change.

• Like 2

Hi Niall,

This works great however, an addition prompt is being displayed and not sure how to get rid of it. It is the "Software changes must be applied to your computer......." with the options Right Now, Outside my business hours or Snooze. Is this suppressed in client settings, task sequence etc.?

hi Kevin

that is easy to repress using Custom Client settings deployed to the collection containing these computers that you want to upgrade, to hide notifications for new software, once they have upgraded they'll fall out of the collection and popup as normal in your organization...

Thanks Niall. Final question.....being a required deployment, is the expected behavior be that the hta pop-up to initiate the task sequence would only show if all content has been downloaded (I also have the TS set to "Download all content locally before starting task sequence" enabled in the deployment)? 

Looks like the content starts to come down to the client only when I click the upgrade now button in the HTA but not before. I am looking into how I can suppress the pop-up until all content has been downloaded.

Edited by Kevin R
  • Like 1

Hi Niall

Just something to point out to you. The script "wrapper.vbs" refers to a "TargetBuild" number. This would need to be changed manually if upgrading to 1703 (need to be changed to 15063, if i'm not mistaken) and this isn't referred to in the guide. Thought you'd like to know.

Thanks

Hope this isn't a stupid question but i was wondering if both the Windows Setup Compatibility Scan and the actual upgrade (assuming the compatibility scan was successful) could be incorporated into the same TS? Is this even possible? Anyone tried to get it to work?