anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

Hmmm, I've done that a few times but the HTA never loads, I'm assuming the powershell script that you are loading is the Start-Upgrade.ps1. I'll go back and do some more digging. Another question regarding UserIgnoringHTA, for testing purposes I lowered the threshold from 8 hrs to 5 minutes. The window moves as intended but then it closes right away, is this as intended? Would it not be better to move and then close if not touched after 5 minute. 

once the threshold completes, it will close the HTA so yes, that is as per design, I initially wanted to move the window to the center of the screen and flash it on top of all other windows but didn't find a reliable way of doing it, and i'm not going to use third party tools to do so

if you use teamviewer I can remote in and have a look and see what's wrong with yours...

Thanks, I found the problem my system was running 1607 and we are applying this to 1703. Once I changed the Target Build at the top to the correct build it all worked out. Now I'm just fighting  the pending reboot check and battery check as I am testing those functions out. The system does not seem to have a pending reboot and it moves on, but it says its on power when its really on battery and it keeps telling me the drive space is low when I have 100GB free.

I downloaded the scripts again, both have a date of 10/10 but I am noticing some differences when I compare the two, so looking for differences now.

Yeah, found them but not where I was having problem, but it seems to work now. I could not make the VPN test work with Windows 10 as it was not coming back as 0.0.0.0. Ended up doing this and it seems to work.
        'Check for VPN
        'UpgradeLog.WriteLine TimeStamp & " " & "Checking for VPN connectivity..."    
        Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
        Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration")

For Each objItem In colItems
            If(InStr(objItem.Description,"Cisco")) Then
                msgBox objItem.Description & " - Enabled: " & objItem.IPEnabled
                IsVPNConnected = objItem.IPEnabled  
            End If
        Next

If(IsVPNConnected) Then
            'UpgradeLog.WriteLine TimeStamp & " " & "VPN found informing user..."    
            msgBox "Cisco VPN connection detected, please do not try to run the Windows 10 upgrade on a VPN connection. Try the upgrade in the office instead."
            AddRunOnce()
            Exit99
        Else
            msgBox "VPN not detected"
            'UpgradeLog.WriteLine TimeStamp & " " & "VPN not found..."
        End If

'For Each objItem In colItems
        '    msgBox objItem.DefaultIPGateway
        '    strDefaultIPGateway = Join(objItem.DefaultIPGateway, ",")
        '    If strDefaultIPGateway = "0.0.0.0" Then
        '    'UpgradeLog.WriteLine TimeStamp & " " & "VPN found informing user..."    
        '        msgBox "Cisco VPN connection detected, please do not try to run the Windows 10 upgrade on a VPN connection. Try the upgrade in the office instead."
        '        AddRunOnce()
        '        Exit99
        '    Else
        '        'msgBox "VPN not detected"
        '        'UpgradeLog.WriteLine TimeStamp & " " & "VPN not found..."
        '    End If
        'Next

Ok I think I have everything in place now. Starting the task sequence testing. A few quick questions:

1. One you hit upgrade now you have a 4-hour timer, is that to allow for the files to be transferred to the computer or just to give the user some indication when the update will start?
  2. While not mentioned in your notes is there any advantage to setting the deployment options under Distribution Points?
    1. For example: Download all content locally before the task sequence starts?
  3. In the wrapper.vbs you reference the VPN, if the preface behind this to ensure the content is downloaded, would item 2.1 negate the need for testing for VPN connectivity?

For testing if you defer the update is there a way to force task to kick off again?

26 minutes ago, webguy said:

Ok I think I have everything in place now. Starting the task sequence testing. A few quick questions:

1. One you hit upgrade now you have a 4-hour timer, is that to allow for the files to be transferred to the computer or just to give the user some indication when the update will start?
  2. While not mentioned in your notes is there any advantage to setting the deployment options under Distribution Points?
    1. For example: Download all content locally before the task sequence starts?
  3. In the wrapper.vbs you reference the VPN, if the preface behind this to ensure the content is downloaded, would item 2.1 negate the need for testing for VPN connectivity?

For testing if you defer the update is there a way to force task to kick off again?

1. the 4 hours is to give the user time to finish their PowerPoint or meeting, and then start the upgrade with loads of time to spare, but at the same time to give them a sense of urgency

2. set them whatever way you want

3. VPN's can cause upgrade's to fail (lack of connection), hence the vpn check, it's better to do the upgrade in the office

to force it to run quickly I open a powershell cmd prompt on a vm, and start the powershell start... command to kick off the hta, that's a manual process but it allows you to test the flow so that you are happy with it

cheers

niall

Just a note, I was running the CreateDeviceCollectionsWindows10.ps1 script in our lab and it fails to create the OSD collections. With the exception of the OSD Servicing Required Deployment collection. Looked at the script and there are when it tries to create OSD Limiting it is using itself as the limiting collectionbut it hasn't created it yet. Then of course any collection that needs OSD Limiting as the limiting collection also fails to create. 

Are there supposed to be queries or collections used in the OSD collections or are they blank.