anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

no that's only one of the two logs, there should always be a smsts.log and sometimes one or more smstsxxxxxxxxx.log files

basically, your log did not show any issues related to it not upgrading

Hi Niall,

This is such a great resource, thank you so much for the time and effort put into this.  I am having an issue with the deployment of the upgrade.  I previously had it working but after downloading the updated scripts and trying to deploy, the upgrade takes 5 seconds and reports to Software Center that it was successful.  Looking through the attached SMSTS log, it looks like it is evaluating the 'Is upgrade allowed to run' initial step to be false, and therefore, it skips Upgrade the OS step because Upgrade_Forced variable is False. 

Trying to look through the log, I don't see why it is evaluating to False. C:\ProgramData\Upgrade_Forced.txt does exist, the system version is 14393 and c:\programdata\DO_NOT_UPGRADE.txt does not exist.  Can you shed any light on this?

Cheers

Doug

smsts.log

hi Doug

thanks !

from your smsts.log it's not allowing the task sequence to proceed because it does not see the file 'upgrade_forced.txt' file, that file SHOULD be created in the following scenarios

• User clicks upgrade now
  • HTA times out and there are no deferrals left

so can you tell me how you are getting to the actual task sequence running, is this after the user has clicked upgrade now ? did you verify that the file existed there or not before the task sequence runs ?

can you share your Windows10RequiredUpgradeWrapper.log  file as well please so i can see what it says

cheers

niall

Hi Niall,

Thank you for your comments.  I have attached the requested log here, but it looks like it has no errors and is passing the 0 exit code.  The file Upgrade_Forced.txt exists in ProgramData with content 'Upgrade selected'.  This is within a test VM that I have clicked on 'Upgrade now'.  I think I will revert the snapshot back a day, before I made any attempts to upgrade and see if something in my testing has affected the behaviour.

Many thanks,

Doug

Windows10RequiredUgradeWrapper.log

EDIT:  I reverted snapshot and tried again but suffer from the same problem as before...

Edited by doug.morrison

Aha!  Mystery solved.  I had made a small mistake with the IF statements for 'is upgrade allowed to run'.  I had the last IF statement running as a child of the second.  Removing this and putting it inline with top, IF..All, and my machine is now upgrading.  Thanks for the pointer and for your time in responding.

Doug

hi Doug

glad you found the bug as it saved me from re-testing the code to verify that i hadn't added a bug :)

cheers

niall