anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

I understand where you are going. The thing is that I started the wrapper manually at 12:42 and the upgrade was finished at 14:11 and it returned Exit code 0 to config mgr as successfully completed.  Here comes the strange behavior: then I logged on the computer to check things. Shortly after logging in , the wrapper seemed to launch automatically in the background at 14:13 without me knowing it and returned Exit code 99 to config mgr. I understand that this wrapper launch should not be happening until 11 AM next day (If it's still in the collection)

I will have to run some more tests to see if this behavior is consistent :)

did you use the same username each time ? and if you remove the computer from the collection and update machine policy it should not occur as you experienced,. but it's good feedback :)

no problem I want this to work as well as it possibly can so any feedback and ideas are welcome, I think i'll put together another blog post with the remove computer from collection and update machine policy steps added (time willing)

• Like 1

Hi, I first want to say thank you, for all of your articles they are wonderful and spot on.  

Is there a reason to run this as "run another program first" versus the 1st thing in the task sequence?

The reason I asked is I just opened a ticket with Microsoft and found out why my "pre-download content for this task sequence" stopped working, it use to download everything ahead of time until I added the script to run first.  They said that by design if you run a program first it will pre-download that program but will not do anything inside the task sequence since it does not know what the first program is supposed to do.

Wanted to touch base before I started to rework the script and the task sequence.

Thank you, 

Hi, I first want to say thank you, for all of your articles they are wonderful and spot on.   

thanks i appreciate it !

Is there a reason to run this as "run another program first" versus the 1st thing in the task sequence? 

yes the reason we run another program first is because we don't want to 'start' the task sequence unless we are ready to do so, and therefore it's chained to the wrapper, i.e. the wrapper must exit with a code of 0 (no error) in order for the task sequence to start,

also task sequences run as SYSTEM (not user) account, and this requires that the user is logged on and interacts (to defer)

do you want to replace the current VPN gateway address with a new one or check for both ? are you using multiple VPNs ?

If multiple then you'll need to edit line 300 to include nested If statements as described here

This is a fantastic tool and really adds to the capability of SCCM. One issue I have encountered is on shared computers. Once one user has had the hta run if another user is exposed to it the routine exits with error 99 because it cannot write to the logfiles. They are created with the original user as owner and other users only have read permission. What would be the best way around this? I realise that the number of deferrals will jump up with each user as this is stored in the CU registry area.

Cheers

Bevan

On 4/25/2018 at 9:46 PM, anyweb said:

do you want to replace the current VPN gateway address with a new one or check for both ? are you using multiple VPNs ?

If multiple then you'll need to edit line 300 to include nested If statements as described here

I looked at the vb-script page from the link above. However it wasn't very clear. I need to add 2 more gateways IP's after line 300 for a total of 3. Thanks