anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

6 hours ago, bevok said:

This is a fantastic tool and really adds to the capability of SCCM. One issue I have encountered is on shared computers. Once one user has had the hta run if another user is exposed to it the routine exits with error 99 because it cannot write to the logfiles. They are created with the original user as owner and other users only have read permission. What would be the best way around this? I realise that the number of deferrals will jump up with each user as this is stored in the CU registry area.

Cheers

Bevan

good point, you could change the logging location to the users home folder eg: C:\Users\JoeBlogs that way it would be dynamic for each user...

When checking for free space, after clicking and confirming there's not enough disk space, it keeps popping message about not enough disk space and gets stuck in infinite loop:

2018-05-07 16:13:45 Not enough disc space found....25
2018-05-07 16:13:45 Checking for free disc space...

On 3/05/2018 at 4:45 PM, anyweb said:

good point, you could change the logging location to the users home folder eg: C:\Users\JoeBlogs that way it would be dynamic for each user...

For the benefit of others, in the start-upgrade.ps1 I modified the logfile variable to:

$Logfile = "C:\ProgramData\Windows10RequiredUpgradeStart-Upgrade-$env:USERNAME.log"

In the wrapper.vbs I added strUserName to the first 'Dim', then

Set oWsh = WScript.Createobject("WScript.Shell")
strUserName = oWsh.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%username%")

under strComputer

And just a bit further down where the path for the logfile is declared:

path="C:\ProgramData\Windows10RequiredUgradeWrapper" & strUserName & ".log"

Putting the logfile in the user profile would be a good approach too but I like having one place to check.

Thanks again for your great work.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Batman said:

When checking for free space, after clicking and confirming there's not enough disk space, it keeps popping message about not enough disk space and gets stuck in infinite loop:

yup that's the current design, the idea is that the user should free up some space, after which it will continue....

do you think it should do something else, if so what ?

1 hour ago, bevok said:

For the benefit of others, in the start-upgrade.ps1 I modified the logfile variable to:

$Logfile = "C:\ProgramData\Windows10RequiredUpgradeStart-Upgrade-$env:USERNAME.log"

In the wrapper.vbs I added strUserName to the first 'Dim', then

Set oWsh = WScript.Createobject("WScript.Shell")
strUserName = oWsh.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%username%")

under strComputer

And just a bit further down where the path for the logfile is declared:

path="C:\ProgramData\Windows10RequiredUgradeWrapper" & strUserName & ".log"

Putting the logfile in the user profile would be a good approach too but I like having one place to check.

Thanks again for your great work.

thanks for this addition, great idea and i'll try and incorporate it into a later version

11 hours ago, anyweb said:

yup that's the current design, the idea is that the user should free up some space, after which it will continue....

do you think it should do something else, if so what ?

Hi, I can't dismiss it once, it keeps coming back with same prompt, so we are not able to free up space on C drive, because the prompt will not disappear. Thanks

it's just a popup, you can move it anywhere on the screen and use Windows File Explorer to free up space on C:\, have you tried that ?

Hi,

Where is the wripper.vbs downloaded locally? 

I have a issue with a specific laptop that have some battery issues, so it returns always that i need to plug it to AC power. 

I want to modify the wrapper locally in order to remove this line and upgrade this laptop. I see that is copied to %temp% folder but when i edit it and run again the TS, a new wrapper.vbs is copied to this folder.

thanks

it's copied from the package source in the CCMCache or direct from the dp, what issues does this particular computer have ? bad battery ? can't you replace it with a new battery

it doesn't exists in ccmcache, i searched there before ask here :)  i only find it in %temp%

i usually use the SCCM application model instead of the package one. Maybe is running directly from the DP and i forgot to configure it 

This laptop is  outside from our HomeOffice but finally we can changed the battery and now the upgrade works

Thanks Niall