anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

On 6/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, tasmo said:

Hi,

"Disable 64-bit" is checked but i also tried uncheck, same.

Thanks !

RegAdd.PNG

RegAdd - Date.PNG

RegAdd - Registry.PNG

Hello,

I had the same problem, the variable is not solved .... I modified the command like this so that it works:

cmd.exe / c "reg add" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ CHUV "/ v RequiredUpgrade_1809 / t REG_SZ / d"% date% "/ f"

have a good day

OK I've been through a couple of iterations with this method. Aside from the odd user who shuts down their computer during the upgrade (argh!) the process has been relatively smooth once I sorted out creating logfiles for each user on multiuser machines. The two bits which I'm going to try adding based on my experience are:

1) A time limit whereby after lets say two weeks if no user has had their five deferrals the countdown timer will run anyway (finding on some multiuser machines they never get to five deferrals)

2) The ability for the scheduled deployment to work out when a machine is not logged in and run the task sequence anyway (finding that some PCs are rarely logged into so indefinitely sit there not upgrading because of the lack of an interactive session).

Thanks for this invaluable extension.

I`m starting to test the use of this method for the second time. This time is to upgrade to 1809.  Some users have reported to me that the defferal count has not been reset to the 8 times i have configured.

If they defered 2 times during last Windows upgrade, they now have only 6 defferals left.  Some had zero and where forced to do upgrade imediatly.

Seems to me that the "HKCU\software\windowsnoob  -  NumberOfUpgradeDefers"  is not getting reset after a succesful upgrade.

How can i fix this ?

make sure you download the latest version of my script(s), there was a bug with a previous version where it wasn't getting reset. The PowerShell wrapper should reset the delete the values entirely prior to launching the task sequence.

Below is the section of the wrapper.ps1 that does this fyi.

# clean out registry settings for the next upgrade attempt.
LogWrite "Starting: remove the UpgradeComputer reg keys so that the next upgrade cycle can start fresh."

$regpath = "HKCU:\Software\$CompanyName\"
$regkey = "UpgradeComputer"
DeleteRegKey $regpath $regkey

$regkey = "NumberOfUpgradeDefers"

$regkey = "Timer"

LogWrite "Starting: Exiting wrapper with exit code 0 and about to start the task sequence now."

Thanks Niall,  i was in fact using old files...the vbs versions.

With the PS version, i found an issue though.  we have our windows 10 OS in french so the OS name is diffrent than what you specify at line 361 of the wrapper.ps1.  I ended up omitting those few lines of code to bypass it.

The problem i have now is that it doesn`t launch the upgrade.hta so the user doesn`t see the popup window to accept.

Can you point out where exactly the HTA is executed ?  Thank you.

the vbs version had some issues and it was vbs, so it's definitely better to use the PowerShell version, i've seen your issue before, I think the French spelling for Enterprise is Entreprise, correct me if i'm wrong, the line you need to edit is this one, number 360

If ($OperatingSystem -eq "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise")

if you change it to this, it should work in your environment, please test and give me feedback

if (($OperatingSystem -eq "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise") -or ($OperatingSystem -eq "Microsoft Windows 10 Entreprise")) 

cheers

niall

Yes i had found the line 360 but even when i change it to the french word it still didn`t find windows 10 but i don`t know why because when i run "gwmi win32_operationsystem" manually on a computer, the output is exactly as i spell it.

Anyways, i ended up omiting that section of code and now i`m only looking for the build number and that works.

I also had to add a few lines at 395 in order to create the reg key HKCU:\software\"company name" because it previously didn`t exist….and if it doesn`t exist, it can`t subtract a deferal count.

Thank you for your time, i think the changes i made will work for me.