anyweb

How can I forcefully upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 10 to the latest version of Windows 10 using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)?

it will automatically time out if the user does nothing after 8 hours and will remove one deferral, if none are left the upgrade will start (if applicable), that's adjustable of course (in the HTA). Currently this is done in such a way that a user must be logged on, but you can change that behaviour if you wish (however, you might get some unhappy users...)

you can change how it's deployed, currently you deploy it 'when a user is logged on'. if you change that to whether a user is logged on or off you'll also need to update some of the logic, i think you need to re-read the original blog post, i mention it there i'm sure.

make sure to test test test if you do go that route though. Remember, if 'no user' is logged on, then no one will see any popup and it will just upgrade once the 5 deferrals are gone.

Hi!

We're having some problems with the start-upgrade.ps1 script in a customers environment. The Task Sequence cannot start this script because of a access denied error (see attached file). The users are not local admins. I'm wondering if local admin rights is a prereq, because the program runs with User Rights? When I login with a user account with local admin rights, it works fine.

Se attached file with error message from execmgr.log

//Christian

execmgr_log.jpg

14 minutes ago, Christian Silvert said:

Hi!

We're having some problems with the start-upgrade.ps1 script in a customers environment. The Task Sequence cannot start this script because of a access denied error (see attached file). The users are not local admins. I'm wondering if local admin rights is a prereq, because the program runs with User Rights? When I login with a user account with local admin rights, it works fine.

Se attached file with error message from execmgr.log

//Christian

execmgr_log.jpg

The HTA package is prestaged in a Task Sequence (with a Download Package Content step). So the package is already in the ccmcache when the actual upgrade Task Sequence tries to run the script.

//Christian 

1 hour ago, Christian Silvert said:

The HTA package is prestaged in a Task Sequence (with a Download Package Content step). So the package is already in the ccmcache when the actual upgrade Task Sequence tries to run the script.

//Christian 

Hi again!

When we add the user account with full control permissions on the ccmcache folder, it works. So it is a permission error. How can we solve this? Is there a reason why the script needs to run with user rights?