smaunsell

Surface 3 WinPE touchscreen not working

I've downloaded the Surface 3 (not Pro) drivers and imported them into a Driver Package. I've edited a task sequence to add these drivers. I have configured the BIOS to boot from the official Microsoft USB NIC and have connected a USB hub with keyboard, mouse & NIC. I can successfully PXE boot and use the USB keyboard to start the process and it completes successfully. But......without the USB keyboard I'm unable to image the Surface.

When booting from the NIC it provides and on-screen keyboard to start the PXE process and that works. Once it gets into WinPE and provides the SCCM screens I can't use the touchscreen to select anything and therefore can't image the Surface.

I have edited the boot image and added the touchscreen drivers. I started with just the 'Surface Touchscreen Device (HIDClass)' but that didn't work so I began adding drivers one by one to find what was required. I ended up adding ALL the Surface drivers but it still wouldn't detect me touching the screen in WinPE.

Has anyone successfully got this to work? If so, what was required?

hmm i'm pretty sure it works here on Surface Pro 3, haven't tried Surface 3 though, what boot image are you using (from what ADK)

5 hours ago, keilamym said:

here when we image the Surface Pro, we just use a USB hub with an external mouse and keyboard. did you try that?

Yes, my original post says that's how I've been able to image the Surface. But ideally I'd like to not have to have to do this. I'd like to plug in the USB NIC, boot and press 'next, next, next' on the touchscreen.

14 hours ago, anyweb said:

hmm i'm pretty sure it works here on Surface Pro 3, haven't tried Surface 3 though, what boot image are you using (from what ADK)

I'm not 100% sure as I didn't create it but I'd be pretty sure it's the Win10 1507 ADK. The version listed in SCCM is 10.0.10240.16384 which is 1507.

Progress........

I mentioned that I'd started with just the 'Surface TouchScreen Device' driver (you'd think the name would give away that it's what is needed!!) but that didn't work so I added any driver starting with "Surface" eg 'Surface Accessory Device", one by one but it still didn't work.

The link from keilamym mentioned that on an HP device it need the "firmware and chipset" driver. There's nothing obviously listed as this for the Surface so I just added all 36 drivers and.....the touchscreen works. Now it'll be a process of removing them one by one to work out which one(s) are actually needed. Once I've worked it out I'll post the details.

It's taken a while pulling them out & putting them back in one by one but I can confirm that to get the touchscreen working on a Surface 3 in WinPE it requires the following drivers be put in the boot image:

• Surface TouchScreen Device
  • Intel Serial IO GPIO Controller
  • Intel Serial IO SPI Controller
  • Like 1

by the way if your boot image is 10240 then they are based on the 1507 ADK, which was the first release of Windows 10, if you are on SCCM CB you should be on ADK 1607 at least

On a side note.......is it possible to use the 'Format and Partition Disk' task and specify a model ie Surface to apply it to?

The current task sequence has:

2. Format and Partition Disk - BIOS
This group/step will run if the following conditions are met:
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSClientCache not exists
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSMediaType not equals "OEMMedia"
Task Sequence Variable   _OSDMigrateUseHardlinks not equals "TRUE"
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSBootUEFI not equals "TRUE"
Primary 350MB fixed
Primary 100% of remaining space on disk

3. Format and Partition Disk - UEFI
This group/step will run if the following conditions are met:
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSClientCache not exists
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSMediaType not equals "OEMMedia"
Task Sequence Variable   _OSDMigrateUseHardlinks not equals "TRUE"
Task Sequence Variable   _SMSTSBootUEFI equals "TRUE"
Recovery 300MB fixed
EFI 500MB fixed
MSR 128MB fixed
Primary 100GB fixed

The Surface is UEFI but has only 64GB so it fails trying to add a 100GB partition.

I'd like to have one task to add this 100GB on desktops but another task that uses 100% only on Surfaces. I can't find any task sequence variable that could be used to check the model (and WMI queries can't be used in WinPE).

Can this be done?