bowlen

SCCM Migration

Hi Everyone,

I may need to be doing a migration from an older version of SCCM to SCCM 2012 and I can't really see anything online about how this would happen.

Is there actually a migration path to follow, or is it basically a brand new SCCM installation?

I presume by older version of SCCM you mean the 2007 flavour? if so check out these 2 links that may help you out.

http://windowsitpro.com/configuration-manager/migrating-sccm-2007-sccm-2012

https://www.anoopcnair.com/sccm-configmgr-2007-to-2012-migration-reference-guide/

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for that. 

Is it 'technically' possible to create the SCCM 2012 environment, and just simply cut-over?  So re-configure everything from scratch if they're wanting to, and then just push out the new SCCM client to all machines.  I note there's an option to reinstall the client if it's already installed, so I would have thought this could be possible. 

The idea behind that would be to clean everything up and start fresh.  I guess the only limitation would be whether SCCM will reinstall the agents on the client machines and whether it will all check in properly. 

On 4/5/2017 at 11:45 AM, bowlen said:

Thanks for that. 

Is it 'technically' possible to create the SCCM 2012 environment, and just simply cut-over?  So re-configure everything from scratch if they're wanting to, and then just push out the new SCCM client to all machines.  I note there's an option to reinstall the client if it's already installed, so I would have thought this could be possible. 

The idea behind that would be to clean everything up and start fresh.  I guess the only limitation would be whether SCCM will reinstall the agents on the client machines and whether it will all check in properly. 

Yes. you can do a side by side migration and make use of  the migration features in sccm 2012 to pull all (or some) of your old stuff over. High level steps:

Build CM 2012

Configure and fine tune as required

Migrate over required content using built in feature

Client push to a small batch of client as UAT

Company wide client push (or whatever method you use to install clients)

Information about "Packages" is retained on the client so even if you redploy the same "Package" to a machine again, it will realise it has already run previously and therefore wont run it.