Thomas M

Make an exception in the advertisement?

Question

I have a software advertised to the "All Computers" collection.

I want to make a temporary exception for one computer that will used for imaging.

I imagine it's not possible to remove a computer from that collection.

If I stop an advertisement and start it later, how will this affect the computers that have already installed this package?

Will they need to run it again or will they recognize the advertisement and know they already have it installed?

Perhaps I should modify my installation to check for the application before installing it.

That way I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

I'd like some best practice advice here :)

5 answers to this question

I have a software advertised to the "All Computers" collection.

I want to make a temporary exception for one computer that will used for imaging.

I imagine it's not possible to remove a computer from that collection.

If I stop an advertisement and start it later, how will this affect the computers that have already installed this package?

Will they need to run it again or will they recognize the advertisement and know they already have it installed?

Perhaps I should modify my installation to check for the application before installing it.

That way I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

I'd like some best practice advice here :)

Hi

No problem just edit the query statement in your "All Computers" Collection.

This query should fix it:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SYSTEM.Name != "<COMPUTERNAME>"

However i don´t recommend using the default collections for deployments.

Create a new collection for this purpose..

Note that when using my suggestions you will get a few less objects in your list since you are using a inner join. Which means that you will only see objects that has data in booth table "sms_r_system" and "SMS_G_System_SYSTEM".

This query will give you the exact same result (will allso show clients without sms agent etc) except for the computer that you don´t wan´t to see:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from sms_r_system WHERE SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name != "<COMPUTERNAME>"

Thanks for the replies.

This would imply me either changing how the All Systems collection works, or create a new collection and change the advertisement.

So lets say I do the latter, create a new collection and edit my advertisement.

How will this affect the computers who have already run the advertisement?

What I want to avoid is all the computers running the advertisement twice :)