allenr74

Importing Drivers During Production Hours?

Is it safe to import drivers into SCCM during production hours?  We're getting new models in this week and I've always imported drivers on the weekend after business hours for fear of corrupting current production task sequences.  Am I correct in importing and creating driver packages only after business hours?

you can import them whenever you want, the only issue i'd worry about is distributing them to all your dp's as that may impact other software time scales, you also shouldn't add these new drivers to production task sequences without testing them thoroughly, we normally import new drivers, add them to a test driver task sequence, distribute the drivers to the nearest dp only, and verify that all is good, only then do we distribute them to all dps and then once done, add them to production task sequences

On a related topic, i personally *hate* importing drivers into the Driver Packages node on the CM12 console. It's slow, it bloats the DB (in my opinion) unnecessarily. The method i have taken up is documented here in an earlier post by Achim. I love this method personally, your own mileage may vary however.

Another method which i'm considering is outlined here