Jaystone

SCCM 1610 fails to take over windows update on client machines

Hello All, 

as the name says, I'm a SCCM noob. we upgraded to SCCM 2012 R2 to 1511, then to 1610. since then, all of my clients are seeing a red x over the action center, and when you open it you see that SCCM has either failed to or forgotten how to take over the windows update service. I have gone over WUAHandler.log, PatchDownloader.log and UpdatesHandler.log and have found nothing that would explain this. the clients are still getting patches, and when the machine is added to a collection it will push to software center and install successfully on the client. I will say that I have noticed that all the updates, and software pushes take quite a bit longer than before the upgrade. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

action_center_error.png

SCCM_fails_to_take_this_over.png

Yeah, we had lots of issues jumping straight from 2012 R2 to 1610.

So, you use client push installation or software-update-based installation?

Do you use GPO's to configure the WSUS source? Or is that configured in local policy, perhaps on your image? 

Verify that the update server is registered correctly clients' WUAHandler log (don't just look for red highlights in CMTrace as we SCCM admins are wont to do).  If the server name is correct, make sure the port matches whatever your HTTP (or HTTPS, if applicable) port is for Update Services in IIS.

Hey Steve,

We use Client push installations. as for the GPO question, I dont have an answer, I will have to do some digging and get back to you on that one. From what I understand we pull windows updates straight from MS WSUS servers. From there I build new deployment groups, and then add the proper updates to the group. i.e. = server patches would go in the server deployment group, and so on. 

As for the "registered correctly with the client" can you give me an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm not sure that I understand. Thx for the help it is greatly needed!

Look in your client's WUAHandler log for a periodic event where it tries to point the client to an update server. Is it the server holding the Software Update Point role assigned in Config Manager? 

Look in your client's registry to see what is listed at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate. Is it your SUP role holder?

Run RSOP on your client and look to see if any policy is applying at Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update .