SMSNewb

Best Practice - Management Points

Hello, I'm looking for some best practice advise regarding adding additional management points.

Currently, I have a single SCCM server for all my roles.  I only have 1 site.

I have an offsite office that connects via vpn to my site.  I was going to put a distribution point out there and was considering a management point as well.

Is it best practice to only have management points on you main lan at your primary site? Or would things be okay if I put a management point in my office that connects over vpn?

Or should I consider a secondary site?

Currently using 1610.

I've never had to branch out from a single network, single building, so I don't have any experience with building out SCCM beyond that.

Any help appreciated!

I currently only have 1 site server, but 7 DP's.  All of my DP's are either on MPLS or direct VPN connections.  My slowest site is 4MB VPN.  Here is what I have...having a local DP works well for content distribution and PXE image deployment.  The only problem I have is that my 4MB site takes forever to copy large packages (seeding took 2 weeks). 

The 20MB connection you have should work no problem.  The nice thing about SCCM is that if a package fails, it will retry at given intervals and should eventually give you all green check marks.  My China site fails all the time (horrible connection), but eventually it works.  Once I have green check boxes, uses can utilize the resources w/o issue.

Yes, let clients at the VPN site access the MP across the WAN. They should only be querying the MP for policy, and get content from the local DP (i would suggest a local DP at that location). I have this exact type of setup and have locations with 500+ machines and it works fine. I do not know the threshold of when adding a local MP would become beneficial.