I currently have "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit - Windows 10" version 10.0.26624 installed on my SCCM version 1702 Server.

I believe when moving from 2012 to 1511, there was specific instructions at that time to install the version of ADK I'm running.  Possibly, because the newest version at that time had bugs related to win 10.

Everything is running fine, patching works, OSD still works.  All is well.  So should I leave the old ADK version alone, or should I update it?  I cant claim to fully understand what its used for or how its works in conjunction with SCCM.  Was hoping someone could provide some insight.

Yes, you should update the ADK to 1703.  In the M$ document, there is a section that advises how to recreate your boot images if you upgraded to 1702 prior to the ADK upgrade. As well, if you want to deploy Win10 1703 images, you need ADK 1703 per M$.

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/checklist-for-installing-update-1702

Review the version of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 The Windows 10 ADK should be version 1607 or later. If you must update the ADK, do so before you begin update of Configuration Manager. This ensures the default boot images are automatically updated to the latest version of Windows PE. (Custom boot images must be updated manually.)

If you update the site before you update the ADK, see the blog Configuration Manager and the Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1607 for a script that can be used to regenerate the boot images.