anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1702 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

Hi great post. I'm actually setting up a new production environment in the next few weeks. I'm setting up the environment initially to run along side so we can slowly migrate the users and setting etc. Im hoping i wont need to extend the AD schema as we are already using SCCM 2012 R2 is there a way to check to ensure no issues?

if you've already extended the schema for ConfigMgr then you are good to go. to verify you can delete everything in the system mangement container using adsiedit and restart the sms_executive component, it should repopulate the system management container, if not it's not working or delegated correctly

Hello,

Excellent document..

I am using the wizard

Where do I specified the SQL instance?

I don't use MSSQLSERVER but Severname\ConfigMgr ... I cannot figure out where to enter this and it fails by not finding the instance...

Thanks,

DOm

Great guide, thanks so much for making this available to everyone this resource is the best by far on the web. Slowly working my way through this, a couple of quick questions though,

Do I need to amend the computer name and server name that's mentioned in the DeploymentConfigTemplate at all?

I don't plan on using Config Manager for WSUS at the moment so should i still install the role? We currently already have a WSUS server which is looking after updates.

Is it best practice to use the default local SQL accounts for the SQL services or should I apply domain accounts for those services?

I mentioned in a previous post about having to re-install Config Manager from scratch as the whole thing was a mess when I took it on, I have managed to uninstall most of the clients on the domain but as I will be using the same site names going forward as before am I likely to run into trouble after following this setup guide?

Thanks very much

Great guide, thanks so much for making this available to everyone this resource is the best by far on the web.  

hi and thanks for your comments :)

Do I need to amend the computer name and server name that's mentioned in the DeploymentConfigTemplate at all? 

not in my testing, but please verify first in a LAB

I don't plan on using Config Manager for WSUS at the moment so should i still install the role? We currently already have a WSUS server which is looking after updates.

if you don't intend to use SCCM for software updates, then you don't need to install WSUS.

Is it best practice to use the default local SQL accounts for the SQL services or should I apply domain accounts for those services?

I mentioned in a previous post about having to re-install Config Manager from scratch as the whole thing was a mess when I took it on, I have managed to uninstall most of the clients on the domain but as I will be using the same site names going forward as before am I likely to run into trouble after following this setup guide?

Use SQL accounts that work with your enterprise, here are some tips, and as regards your current setup and installing configmgr again, i'd suggest you verify everything in a lab first, it's easy to do so.

HI - Excellent notes.  Thanks for sharing the scripts.

My question is - I would like to make use of your XML file for deploying roles and features.  Do, I need to specify servername while running install roles and features.ps1?  As you know the computername in the XML file is CM01.

Thanks

RL

HI - Excellent notes.  Thanks for sharing the scripts. 

thanks!

i've tested the xml file on a server with a different name and it worked fine, please do a quick test on a VM with a different computername than CM01 and post your result here

Tested your xml file to install roles and features on a VM.  It worked out fine. 

No need to include server name.  Just run the install roles and features script and all the roles/features will get installed in less than 4 minutes.  Will save the script for future use.

Here is the screen shot for information.

3.JPG

• Haha 1