anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1702 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

On 3/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, anyweb said:

what does the view log button show you, can you please zip up and attach the logs here ?

Hi Niall, I did a complete reinstallation of everything again using your exact IP addresses, usernames, domain names and it all worked flawlessly! The only snag I hit was I had to install the SCCM under the niall renamed sql account as it kept giving a login failed when logged in as user CM01\Administrator . Thanks for a great guide, next stop deployment land.

• Haha 1

hi Coops

i'm happy it's working for you now, sorry i couldn't feedback on the logs but i'm at the Global MVP summit in Seattle right now so kinda busy

First off, Thank you so much for the install scripts.  This takes the doofus element out of the installation.  However, I do doofus really well.  I am trying to use the add user script and am getting the following errors.  I think I have edited the file in the appropriate locations to reflect my domain.  But something is a miss. 

About to add the following OU: drwho to this OUPath: DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
At C:\Scripts\Create Users  Usergroups and OUs in AD.ps1:15 char:13
+             New-ADOrganizationalUnit -Name $OUName -Path $OUPath
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=drwho,DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Managem 
   ent.Commands.NewADOrganizationalUnit

Adding child OU's...
About to add the following OU: Security Groups to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Security Gro...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Managem 

About to add the following OU: Servers to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Servers,OU=d...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Service Accounts to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Service Acco...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Users to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Users,OU=dc-...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Workstations to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Workstations...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

Adding more child OU's...
About to add the following OU: SCCM to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=SCCM,OU=Serv...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: MDT to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=MDT,OU=Servi...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: MBAM to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=MBAM,OU=Serv...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

Thank you so much for this. It has really helped speed the process up.

Question: I get the error below when running the script to install SCCM Branch version 1702

I get "Failed to create SQL Alias on the server". 

I thought I changed all the settings correct but apparently I have not. Can you tell me what I've done incorrectly? Below is what I edited in the script

$Action="InstallPrimarySite"
$ProductID="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" [x's are replaced with actual key]
$SiteCode="LAR"
$Sitename="Test Primary Site"
$SMSInstallDir="D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager"
$SDKServer="mysccm2016.local"
$RoleCommunicationProtocol="HTTPorHTTPS"
$ClientsUsePKICertificate="0"
$PrerequisiteComp="1"
$PrerequisitePath="D:\Downloads"
$ManagementPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$ManagementPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$DistributionPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPointInstallIIS="0"
$AdminConsole="1"
$JoinCEIP="0"
$SQLServerName="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"
$DatabaseName="CM_LAR"
$SQLSSBPort="4022"
$CloudConnector="1"
$CloudConnectorServer="mysccm2016.local"
$UseProxy="0"
$ProxyName=""
$ProxyPort=""
$SysCenterId=""

is this correct ? $SQLServerName="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"  and does the configmgr server have machine rights on that server, why are you not installing SQL on the configmgr server ? having it remote is generally a bad idea

ok so why the differences here if they are all on the same server, the FQDN's don't look right

$SDKServer="mysccm2016.local"
$RoleCommunicationProtocol="HTTPorHTTPS"
$ClientsUsePKICertificate="0"
$PrerequisiteComp="1"
$PrerequisitePath="D:\Downloads"
$ManagementPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$ManagementPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$DistributionPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPointInstallIIS="0"
$AdminConsole="1"
$JoinCEIP="0"
$SQLServerName="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"

so in your example, i think you should change all those above to "MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL" and try again