slack

out of band management

Question

Hi all,

I have successfully setup sccm 2007, on a Windows 2008 server. Many Thanks to Anyweb for his great guides. I was wondering about the out of band management. I am running intel core duo on most of my machines. I keep seeing that you need intel vpro technology to use out of band management. So if my machine doesn't say vpro on the front sticker, then most likely I am not able to use out of band management for these machines correct? Does the server that has sccm 2007 need the intel vpro also? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

slack

4 answers to this question

check the Prerequisites for out of band management here on Technet

and I quote:

Important

Out of band management in Configuration Manager 2007 has external dependencies on the Intel Active Management Technology (Intel AMT) and on Microsoft public key infrastructure (PKI) technologies. If you need authoritative configuration information or technical details about these external dependencies, refer to the product documentation for the related technologies.

For Intel Active Management Technology (Intel AMT) information, refer to the Intel documentation or the documentation from your computer manufacturer. You can also refer to the Intel vPro Expert Center: Microsoft vPro Manageability Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132001).

For Microsoft PKI information, refer to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Certificate Services (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=115018) and Public Key Infrastructure for Windows Server 2003 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=78389).

below that it includes a table of what system types offer what type of support within SCCM,

does this help ?

cheers

niall

Hi niall,

Thanks for the reply, doesn't really help me, looking on the site you showed me. Anywhere else you could show me to look for for more info. I am guessing that the machines with the intel duo core processsor would have say vpro technology on the front of the machine. right? I will look at the site again to see if I missed something.

thanks

check the Prerequisites for out of band management here on Technet

and I quote:

below that it includes a table of what system types offer what type of support within SCCM,

does this help ?

cheers

niall

Hi niall,

Thanks for the reply, doesn't really help me, looking on the site you showed me. Anywhere else you could show me to look for for more info. I am guessing that the machines with the intel duo core processsor would have say vpro technology on the front of the machine. right? I will look at the site again to see if I missed something.

thanks

It is written on the Intel sticker if you have VPro. On mine(Lenovo T500) its written Intel Centrino 2 VPro. But do you need VPro to use Out of band? I think its enough if you have Intel AMT on the computer??

Hi all,

I have successfully setup sccm 2007, on a Windows 2008 server. Many Thanks to Anyweb for his great guides. I was wondering about the out of band management. I am running intel core duo on most of my machines. I keep seeing that you need intel vpro technology to use out of band management. So if my machine doesn't say vpro on the front sticker, then most likely I am not able to use out of band management for these machines correct? Does the server that has sccm 2007 need the intel vpro also? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

slack

The information about what processors are vpro capable at intel website is very confusing. Here's a list of processors support vPro technology http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4797, basically there's nothing special about these chips it's just that Intel wants us to purchase more expensive high end chips to get vPro technology that's enable in their QXXX chipset motherboards.

Here's a list of Intel motherboards support vPro

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/executive.htm

So vPro is really in the motherboard chipsets (North bridge), the QXXX series, and for Intel AMT is one of the technologies of vPro. For Core 2 platform, it's AMT 5.0, for Nehalem (i5, i7) it's AMT 6.0, and the biggest advantage of AMT 6.0 vs 5.0 is KVM (Intel proriertary VNC server), IDE redirect.....

Hope it helps