Two questions

The 7zip and Firefox are applications, which I can easily add/change an icon. Is there a similar process or method to make the "programs" from Packages have icons?

packages.PNG.6f438d773103cd3f720fe6398b5b0ed6.PNG

2nd question - Some of my applications don't show icons in Add/Remove Programs, While this doesn't really cause any issues other than it is less aesthetically pleasing,

I am curious has anyone else come across this, and if so, is there a fix?

7zip.PNG

Edited by xerxes2985
added another question and changed title.

Hello,

I'm not aware of any way to have packages use custom icons. Applications have this ability because they are a new(ish) feature in SCCM added I think starting with the 2012 version. Its probably a feature request that could be added to allow this functionality but I'm guessing it was never added since the Application method is newer and what the majority of users would be using. Any reason not to use the Application method vs the Package method for those apps?

For the missing icons, does it appear differently if you install say 7zip manually vs installed via SCCM? It could just be that the application does not have an icon that displays in Programs and Features and that's the reason for the generic icon. If no special icon appears when installing it manually then its something with the app itself rather than with SCCM. If it behaves different when its installed via SCCM then not sure what would cause that, but would be interested to find out if that's the case.

I find myself setting up a lot of applications, but I have a lot of packages as well that call other programs. So I just created an additional program under the package, and then reference the program. 

Example:

Ibm spectrum protect package

Main installer program

Sub program - VCredistrib_x86_x64

Sub program runs with name install Tivoli

And has "install another program first" 

--- this way I have one item in software center. If I use applications, I'd have to deploy the application(I think)  - which I don't want people to be able to install the VCredistrib_x86_x64 software

If the same type of scenario can be done without junking up my software center with a bunch of dependency applications that would be awesome to know. 

Here is a tip how to add an icon to 7Zip (or any other MSI that doesn't contain an icon):

Download and install Orca.
Right click on the 7Zip MSI installed > Edit with Orca
in Orca go to Transform > New Transform

2017-06-13_11-36-53.png.86ca6f9db2114dd6c97c97bccf3f6118.png

Hit CTRL+T to add a new table. (or right click in the Table pane > Add Tables)

2017-06-13_11-26-25.png.8d994e531b7414bd9707e2425fa154c0.png
Select Icon from the list.
Click the Icon table and add a new row: Right click > Add Row

Enter Row Name;
Data: browse to a file that contains the Icon.

2017-06-13_11-34-10.png.437f0e754a5fdbdc2d69766d541772e2.png

I usually just browse to the application EXE of the installed application as it contains an icon but you can browse to an ICO file as well.
Orca will read the Binary data of the file.

Now go to the Property table and add a new row:

Property: ARPPRODUCTICON
Value: Name of the Icon row (in my case it's 7zFM.exe)

2017-06-13_11-47-05.png.ad6fb988898009e8d80fe8acbbe24c58.png

The ARPPRODUCTICON property specifies the foreign key to the Icon table, which is the primary icon for the Windows Installer package.

You can now either save the transform (MST) file and apply it during the installation or you can save the MSI.

Best practice is to keep the original MSI and only save the MST file, but it's up to you what you'll do.

You can now install your application with the MST file:

msiexec /i "7Zip.msi" TRANSFORMS=7Zip.mst /qn

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, dinci5 said:

Here is a tip how to add an icon to 7Zip (or any other MSI that doesn't contain an icon):

Download and install Orca.
Right click on the 7Zip MSI installed > Edit with Orca
in Orca go to Transform > New Transform

2017-06-13_11-36-53.png.86ca6f9db2114dd6c97c97bccf3f6118.png

Hit CTRL+T to add a new table. (or right click in the Table pane > Add Tables)

2017-06-13_11-26-25.png.8d994e531b7414bd9707e2425fa154c0.png
Select Icon from the list.
Click the Icon table and add a new row: Right click > Add Row

Enter Row Name;
Data: browse to a file that contains the Icon.

2017-06-13_11-34-10.png.437f0e754a5fdbdc2d69766d541772e2.png

I usually just browse to the application EXE of the installed application as it contains an icon but you can browse to an ICO file as well.
Orca will read the Binary data of the file.

Now go to the Property table and add a new row:

Property: ARPPRODUCTICON
Value: Name of the Icon row (in my case it's 7zFM.exe)

2017-06-13_11-47-05.png.ad6fb988898009e8d80fe8acbbe24c58.png

The ARPPRODUCTICON property specifies the foreign key to the Icon table, which is the primary icon for the Windows Installer package.

You can now either save the transform (MST) file and apply it during the installation or you can save the MSI.

Best practice is to keep the original MSI and only save the MST file, but it's up to you what you'll do.

You can now install your application with the MST file:

msiexec /i "7Zip.msi" TRANSFORMS=7Zip.mst /qn

icon.thumb.jpg.5bce047dd0e63613220dfcef007e58c7.jpg

Hi friend, I do n’t see the icon option when I open Orca software. Why is this?