Jaybone

Collection Query Name Change Breaks Collection?

Running 1610, I stumbled across something yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this: changing just the name of a query used to populate a collection breaks the collection.

Steps to replicate:

1. Change the name of the query being used as a membership rule for a collection.
  2. Collection's icon gets an hourglass, even though nothing about its membership actually changed.
  3. Hourglass doesn't go away, and collection membership no longer updates.

The first time I saw this was with a query-based collection looking for %server% in operatingSystemNameAndVersion.  Even after adding new devices to the environment and waiting overnight, those devices didn't get pulled into the collection this morning, even though delta was enabled so they should've been picked up within minutes.  "Fixed" it by deleting and re-creating the collection.

I have another, separate 1610 environment I work with regularly, so I jumped over to that one and created a new query-based collection to test with, looking for %string% in the system's name.  Changed the name of the query, and sure enough, the collection's hourglass refused to go away (only left this one for 15 minutes, not overnight).  Changing the actual query to %string2% seems to have gotten the collection working again, though obviously isn't really a fix, since string and string2 are different; just need to change back to the original string.

Back to the initial environment, with a collection looking for system name ending with a number and a specific service existing and being set to auto-start: change the name of the query, and the hourglass has been stuck for 30 minutes.  Changing the query in some non-meaningful way (adding a second space character after an "and") doesn't help.  Changing the query in a meaningful way (look for a different service name) gets the collection working again.

So it doesn't seem to matter what the query is looking for - three queries looking for three different things (though second and third are similar) and all of them break the collection if just the query name is change without changing the query itself.